When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were Three Speeds Offered?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I'm at a bit of a cross-road. I really like my Middleweight bikes, but find my Lightweight British style bikes more rideable on the trails. I'm wondering if these Middleweights came with three speed hubs or if I could put one on? I think Schwinn had them, but they might be too expensive for me.

Schwinn did have them. Corvettes and Jaguars would be the most common 3-speeds to find. You can find a nice Corvette for 2-300. There's one on my local craigs right now; needing some love but only 90$--so keep an eye out and they are out there for fair prices.

Yes

Here'
jaguarwtankR2.jpg
s one

Still working on it.

Yes to orig poster. And their fairly inexpensive.

Thanks kingfish I still need to get a rear luggage rack, and an "s" reflector.

jim

I personally love Schwinn middleweights, last summer I restored a girl's Schwinn American with a tank and wanted a 3spd (girl's 3 spd bikes are uncommon), so used a boy's Typhoon 3spd Sturmey Archer on it (same as on a lot of Corvettes etc). I have about $900 in the bike after paint and everything, and it's worth every dime. 3 speeds is all you really need, and my Schwinn / SA works very well.

We have a 3 spd SA Corvette for sale right now....pm me if you want more info.

Darcie
DSC00008.jpg

3-speed Middleweight

I have several of the late 50s early 60s English three speeds and they are great but wanted to build up a Middleweight with a vintage S-A hub too. I started with a pair of NOS Pirelli S-7 tires I found on eBay, cheap. Then waited until I found a suitable set of Schwinn S-7 wheels which I eventually found, again, on eBay at a reasonable price. Meanwhile I found this '64 Tornado/Hornet frame with fork, crank, pedals, stem, bars, and grips locally. Since the frame didn't have provisions for rim brakes I swapped the 3-speed hub the wheels came with with an S-A, S3C coaster brake 3-speed hub. I just re-laced the rear wheels as the hubs are the same size. The shifter is an early Sturmey-Archer top-tube quadrant shifter.

Attachments

• DSCN0664[1].jpg
    DSCN0664[1].jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0666[1].jpg
    DSCN0666[1].jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0665[1].jpg
    DSCN0665[1].jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 133
Back