When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer help.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sulley

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up this very nice Girls 26" Western Flyer. #MOS 2053 114134 its all original and even the lights work. Can some one tell me a year and model. There is a faint WESTERN FLYER on the chain guard with no other words on the chain guard. Thanks Sulley

00621-1.jpg

00323-1.jpg

It defenitly says WESTERN FLYER
093-1.jpg

094-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice find, Sully. I love the tank bikes. I'll get one someday for me and the misses. You gonna keep it and fix it up. Looks like it doesn't need much. Do those 2 lights on the rear rack light up?

I agree with Rhenning identifying it as a 60's era Murray made bike (your bike has the same frame, chainring, and chain guard as my '67 Murray made AMC Caravan.) Same frame, drop out, saddle, chain guard, and chain ring as so many other Murray made bikes from that era.

Open google and click on the images link. Type Western Flyer in it and start looking at the pictures. Keep narrowing your search using data you find in the pictures you find that look similar. Find a bike with matching headlight/tank and see what other facts you can come up with. If you type 1953 Western Flyier in the images link, you'll see nothing but balloon tire bicycles.

Ed

Last edited:
Got my info from here, page 8. Sulley

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?7014-Murray-serial-number-project

The Murray-Ohio Bicycle (WF) numbers begin with the following letters:

YEAR
1937 M-O-B Plus Serial Number
1938 M-O-C Plus Serial Number
1939 M-O-D Plus Serial Number
1940 M-O-E Plus Serial Number
1941 M-O-F Plus Serial Number
1942 M-O-G Plus Serial Number
1943 M-O-H Plus Serial Number
1944 M-O-I Plus Serial Number
1945 M-O-J Plus Serial Number
1946 M-O-K Plus Serial Number
1947 M-O-L Plus Serial Number
1948 M-O-M Plus Serial Number
1949 M-O-N Plus Serial Number
1950 M-O-P Plus Serial Number
1951 M-O-Q Plus Serial Number
1952 M-O-R Plus Serial Number
1953 M-O-S Plus Serial Number My bike is MOS 2053
1954 M-O-T Plus Serial Number
1955 M-O-U Plus Serial Number
1956 M-O-V Plus Serial Number or M-O-T-V
1957 M-O-T-W Plus Serial Number
1958 M-O-T-X Plus Serial Number
1959 M-O-R Plus Serial Number

Last edited:
They did not make the size tires that are on that bike in 1953. The first 1.75 tires were about 1955. MO in MOS means Murray of Ohio and I believe the S is what part of the decade the bike was built. What kind of rear hub is on the bike as that is another way to date it. I am sorry the bike just screams 1960s Murray no matter if you want it to be older or not. Bike companies are also known to reuse serial number often. Schwinn in the 1950s did this about every 3 years. Roger

Big question

Sully,

Where did you find the serial number? Was it on the bottom of the crank tube or on the drop out where the rear axle bolts in? Can you post a picture of the serial number? I have a theory but I need to know where the number is stamped.

Ed

Back