When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer identification, please help!

-

leeemerson76

On Training Wheels
I would like any information I can get regarding my dad's Western Flyer bicycle. He bought it used in the early 60's. I am attaching pictures. Note that the bike doed not have the correct wheels or the correct crank and chainwheel. I am attaching a pic of the original crank and chainwheel. The serial number is 212159.

20200630_213046.jpg

20200524_092259.jpg

20200524_092252.jpg

The frame, crank and chain ring sprocket (1st picture) are Murray Ohio products, sold at Western Auto stores, (and elsewhere).

The sprocket is 1/2" pitch which reflects relatively later; (the installed 'mag wheel" sprocket might be Huffy?).
Also the front hub with drum brake might not be original; (missing a brake cable?).
The streamlined motorbike frame was from late 1940's to late 1950's with few detail changes.
Along with the serial number might be additional date and model codes.
See the "Murray serial number project" thread.

Last edited:
The wheels that are currently on the bike are not original. I have the originals, but they are badly deteriorated. The chainwheel and crank currently on the bike are not oringinal. The came from a much later bike that I junked.

The frame, crank and chain ring sprocket (1st picture) are Murray Ohio products, sold at Western Auto stores, (and elsewhere).
View attachment 1221595
The sprocket is 1/2" pitch which reflects relatively later; (the installed 'mag wheel" sprocket might be Huffy?).
Also the front hub with drum brake might not be original; (missing a brake cable?).
The streamlined motorbike frame was from late 1940's to late 1950's with few detail changes.

Thank you for the picture! Do you know what year that is?

View attachment 1221595

Mine does not have additional date codes that I can see.

The picture was from a Murray brochure of about 1953 , (for their base model).
Murray would adapt various combinations of accessories for a retailer, (such as Western Auto).
It looks like your bike came with truss rods and a tank, (see clean paint lines behind the head tube). Murray tanks become available from time to time and are not too expensive.

Back