When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer Motobike Tank?

-
I have a 34 Shelby built Western Flyer that I put a McCaully tank on. I might be interested in your tank. Depending on price and where is it shipping from? Here is a picture on my bike with tank I have added. Let me know what you are thinking on price.
Best Regards
Frank

20201118_202439.jpg

So then I assume the consensus is that this tank is specific for big-tank Shelby frames and not for any earlier Shelby made frames? The NOS boxes of them found in the last few years are nearly gone. Again, this is the 1st one I have seen painted with graphics and with original hardware....so very cool..

So, in Austrailia, the word “torch” means “flashlight” — I think that may have thrown some of us off; (welders’ bike?).

The blue WF tank/toolbox was most likely made by McCauley sheet metal products, for Shelby, (may have even come with a pair of fenders, as McCauley could stamp those out too). Yes, it looks like a model #1000 — and the same as those offered today as new old stock — (except for the patina).

The tank/toolbox in the black & white ad for a shorter frame bicycle is the less common McCauley #1001; (not available as NOS).

In some parts, Shelby sold bicycles advertised as their “Jumbo Tyre” models; for people who misspell tires as “tyres”!

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Sturmer.

You are correct. "Torch" does indeed mean "flashlight".

I have had to adapt a few of my words for the CABE. For instance, In Australia,we never use the word "fender". We call then "mud guards" or just guards. This causes confusion because if I mention a guard on here everyone assumes I mean "chain guard". And lets not get started on Imperial V's Metric, I have to get out my special ruler to measure any bicycle part!

I really enjoy it. You guys are great to deal with, and having to pickup a bit of "American" language is half the fun!

Cheers

MrA

Back