When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western flyer News boy special rack intagrated into frame trying to figure out year and where made need help

-

Josh Pence

On Training Wheels
I picked this bike up I just loved it's curves it looks fast setting still anyway trying to find some info on it might sell haven't decided yet anyone know anything please help
20210323_152643.jpg
20210323_152427.jpg
20210323_152717.jpg

I picked this bike up I just loved it's curves it looks fast setting still anyway trying to find some info on it might sell haven't decided yet anyone know anything please help View attachment 1379028View attachment 1379029View attachment 1379030
Not 100% sure with Western Flyers but I know there were Columbia Firebolts from like '60/61-64 with the built in rack. I am 50/50 it's the same frame

The black hot rod/rat rod is @jimbo53
The Serial # should be on the left rear drop out. If you post a pic of it we can determine year

Last edited:
Josh if you do decide to sell it; I'd like 1st right of refusal :smirk:
Man I love the picks specifically the rat rod! I'm going to look it over in the morning. Get any markings numbers off it and take better picks for you and put on tommarow I just picked it up ! My neighbor lady is in her 90s noticed her family and her cleaning out her garage and seen her son wheel it around the house set it in front yard! Couldn't get my shoes on fast enough lol knocked said are yea selling the bike she said yes I was but if you can do something with it you go ahead ! Wow what a great lady anyway her husband rode it till 2007 and then it set in garage till yesterday when it seen my ugly mug lol! I also seen this frame in a picture of one labled 1942.It was identical just different color and if you notice on mine it has the bigger looking wider metal painted fenders not the smaller looking chrome ones on these ones you showed and on the one labeled 42 it has same fenders! I don't know though I'm just a noobie that fell in love with a red rad little bike need to look it over better tomorrow Superman get some more info off it and picks for yes to see and who knows you definitely can be the first offer I decline

From what info I am seeing; the Columbia Firebolt was a middle weight tire bike 26"x1.75" but the Newsboy Special bikes are the same with the only difference being the heavier duty gauged wheels basically for paper routes. If you'd be willing to ship it Josh I will make an offer. I missed my opportunity on the black bike of Jim's; the money never was there without something coming up

Josh if you do decide to sell it; I'd like 1st right of refusal :smirk:
Thanks for the plug! I’m still selling this and will be bringing it to the Auto, Antique, and Bike Swap Meet in Denton NC on 4/9. I know you rode it and liked it so if you’re interested in it before 4/9 drop me a PM.

Thanks for the plug! I’m still selling this and will be bringing it to the Auto, Antique, and Bike Swap Meet in Denton NC on 4/9. I know you rode it and liked it so if you’re interested in it before 4/9 drop me a PM.
I did upgrade mine with 26x2.125 wheels and tires. Added chrome fenders from parts box from a 26x2.125 bike.

I did upgrade mine with 26x2.125 wheels and tires. Added chrome fenders from parts box from a 26x2.125 bike.
Yeah I remember you saying that. My then gf sitting in the car & the 1st bike guy from the forum I met. Still have those peaked fenders I bought from you. Lol I think they're for 24" wheels or a middle weight.

Back