When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer, OG or Repro?

-

scramer56

On Training Wheels
All,

Help...I am trying to determine if the pictured Western Flyer is original or a reproduction...it looks a lot to me like a Shelby, but the main sprocket is not a skiptooth, the pedals have reflectors, it has a modern saddle and headbadge overspray from what I can see, so I'm unsure if it's an original. How can I be sure before talking to the owner that this bike is not a reproduction?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Steve

img_1614646961445.jpg

img_1614647043394.jpg

img_1614647100103.jpg

My understanding is that there's no serial number database for Western Flyer / Shelby rigs, so serial no. confirmation is not an option...on a separate question regarding Skiptooth Sprockets...were Skiptooth Primary Chainrings considered a more economical component for PreWar bikes? I've never been clear on the main reason for their use. Thanks, Steve

Western Flyer sourced bikes from a number of different Manufactures to sell under their badging. Each mfg had unique serial numbering conventions and stamping styles so that is a good way to tell manufacturer. A picture of your serial number will certainly show it to be Shelby built bicycle. As far as dating your bike Shelby can be a challenge. Oftentimes noting the equipment and comparison to known catalog data points the way to a year or year range. There is some ongoing scholarship on Shelby serial numbers if you do a search on the Cabe, most notably recently by member @SKPC

I would agree with your assessment that the one inch pitch drive train was considered more cost effective from a production standpoint at least prewar.

First, I just noticed that something was once atop the front fender...a missing light or ornament, Second, was this model known to have used a dropstand? Thanks, Steve

Yep missing the light which is likely the ‘biscuit’ light. Also missing the horn/button assembly. Go ahead and post a pic of the serial and does the rear fender have a reflector frenched in? V/r Shawn

Back