When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer serial number HELPPP!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

norcalwesternflyer

On Training Wheels
Hi,

Im new to this forum, I recently purchased a bike that is supposedly a old western flyer, it carries the western flyer badging on the front of the bike and serial/model number plate on the bottom of bike. I am asking for someones help that can point me in the right direction as to identifying this bike.. I cannot read the first couple numbers on the model number but think they are as follows:

Model: 2F2001KA?
Serial: A1278645

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

@classicfan- thanks for the quick response, im new here so sry it took me so long to get the pics up, i had to play around with the site a little bit.. im kind of nervous because i cant really make out the numbers because the plate looks so old and very worn down, and ive read online that these bicycles were recently reproduced and i am hoping its not one of those!!

Attachments

• IMG_20120519_153223.jpg
    IMG_20120519_153223.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,741
  • IMG_20120519_153233.jpg
    IMG_20120519_153233.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,506
Western Auto never produced their own bikes, they instead had contracts with bicycle companies and had the bikes slightly altered or re-badged for their store. Cleveland Welding Company (CWC), Huffman (Huffy), Colson, Murray, all had contracts with a department store at some point.

This bike is older than my area of Western Flyer expertise (late 1950s and up) and these were NEVER reproduced. However, Western Flyer did have a line of retro bicycles built around 1987-1995 in various styles, mostly red. But even those are old now as the newer ones approach 20 years old! Damn I feel older than what I really am!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys!

So what is the possible age range? These bikes are way before my time (I'm 23) so I can't say I know much about classic bikes In general. And is this a rare find and did I get lucky for getting it for $40?

Thanks for all your help!

Serial numbers, on anything except post war Schwinns or
Cleveland Welding 30's bikes, really don't mean diddly.
Huffman, for example, on purpose made their numbers with no pattern so as to confuse the competition.

Learn your frames and your bike company features and you can get a general picture and identify what you have.

@charnleybob

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to study the frame and I have been able to determine other western flyer bikes close to what I just purchased. The problem I am having is that they all seem to have one post on the "step through" part of the frame and the one I has two. Therefore, I have been having trouble verifying if this is a true western flyer, and the whole serial/model number dilemma doesn't really help either.

Date code book

BOOK 001.jpg
book pic 006.jpg
book pic 005.jpg
book pic 004.jpg
book pic 003.jpg

Rare date code book that was discovered in 2011 that has been reprinted to share the information. With this book you can date most balloon tire frames made by these manufactures :

AMF Cleveland Welding 39' - 59'
Huffman 38' - 59
Monark silver king 47' - 58
Murray Ohio ( Elgin ) 37' - 59'

As well as Westfield, Bert Scheuer, Hercules, Norman, Rabeneick, Raleigh, and Wheelcraft bicycle info included. The book is 68 pages of excellent bicycle information. All pages are black and white, with a clear cover and professional sprial bound. There are pages that have stains in them but that's how the original is, and everything is readable. Also has parts prices from that period, and alot of front and rear hub break downs that would have been on the models that are in this book. If you collect balloon tire bicycles this is a must have book! This book was discovered last year and is the missing link to the bicycle hobby. I guarantee that you will be very satisfied with this book.

I am selling them for $20.00 each shipped first class.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Please PM me if you are interested in a copy. I will accept money orders, checks, and pay pal.

Thank You, Brian Heckel

Last edited:
Back