When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer X-53 Original

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
By the way I am responsible for some of the confusion!!! That is my bike on daves site red and gold 1958. I put in the wrong year when I posted it but there was no way for me to go and correct it...... I tried to fix it right then and there but couldn't.

IMG_0152.jpg

Last edited:
Your x53 is a 1956 paint is black cherry and gold.They also had a red and gold.1957-58 were black and gold

My X-53 which I got for Christmas of '54 came in an
irridescent dark cherry. The only difference was the
gold parts were chrome. Other than that, the bike looked
exactly like yours. The bike came from the Western-Auto
store unassembled in a carton.

Don't recall what happened to the bike.
I since found one in an old bike shop.
Colors were faded, but it was all there
including the beefy rocket headlight.
Not sure what color to use to get that
shimmering, metallic or flourescent red.
I also have a red phantom from that year
with that type of "red" color scheme.

Congratulations on your bike.
Don't see too many of these beauties anymore!

Last edited:
002.JPG
001.JPG
All these nice X 53's shown here may help light a fire under me to work on this bike .
I am not afraid to admit there is something about the X53 [ a turd like this one included ] that throws all common sense to abandon when one has a pocket full of cash while attending a swap meet.
Having one of those weak moments I parted with six Franklin s for this one a couple years back. It was complete except for the light and there are no rust holes in the tank. Of course after buying it I had that feeling, " Am I crazy to have payed 6 bills for this hunk of junk?"
Apparently two other fellows were just as nuts as me that day as they were more than happy to pay me the six hundred that I paid to buy the bike from me then and there. Bike cutter-upper "Morti-John was at that swap and told me he purchased one like mine a few weeks before for 500 and after dismantling it, he resold the parts for 1200 on ebay.
I talked to the fellow that sold him the bike for the 500 and verified the story. He watched as his dismembered X53 was parted out on ebay.
Just proves one thing to me : "When a guy has got to have it , he's gonna get it."

Like you I've been drooling over having one of these for longer than I'd like to admit. Finally I just sucked it up an tossed a wad of cash at the seller and wheeled home lighter in the wallet but grinning ear to ear. I also think It's crazy, especially knowing I have $1800 into it, but you know what? I can't think of another way to spend it that gives me this much pleasure...... I guess I did have to have it!

What a great looking bike! Like you I was sucked into the X-53 and paid dearly too. Mine is an all original '56 which is hard to preserve on these. I can't pin down what is so appealing, yet I just had to have one, and I'm one of those "Schwinn guys".
93a1d60ea64816e7029d18322c3af4f9.jpg
26dbc82a9a86d9a9fdab725410c05493.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great looking bike! Like you I was sucked into the X-53 and paid dearly too. Mine is an all original '56 which is hard to preserve on these. I can't pin down what is so appealing, yet I just had to have one, and I'm one of those "Schwinn guys". View attachment 692518View attachment 692519

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The X-53 is appealing for me because it was the first bike that was given to me for Christmas.
It was bought at a local Western-Auto store. I was nine.
Of all the “classic" bikes I have ever own, this is the first and only one I have gotten in a carton
unassembled.
There’s nothing quite like the aroma of “new” (similar to a brand new car)
Putting it together for the first time was quite an experience that I will never forget.

There was a time I could go to Western-Auto and buy most everything for the bike.
All made in the USA.

So i have been trying to figure out the year of mine. Im thinking 56, but i cant really tell what that third letter is.

IMG_0164.jpg

Back