When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer X 53 production

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MaxGlide

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Can anyone tell me when Western Flyer started production on the X-53 Super? I just bought one from California (being shipped) and the owner thinks it's from 1951. I thought the first run was later years.

It has a one inch pitch chain and most I've seen have 1/2' pitch. Other than that it seems like others I've seen pics of.

He is getting the serial number for me.

thanks for your help.

Wayne

Murray produced the X-53 Super for Western Auto from 1953 to 1958... The skip-tooth chain and sprocket were used on the '53 - '55 bicycles, and the '56 - '58s had the 1/2 inch pitch chain. The fenders were painted for the first year or two, '55 and up had chrome fenders. The early ones wore a black and red paint scheme (Boys version) or two-tone blue for the Girls. Only a Boys model was offered after 1955, these and the '56 models wore a red, or red and gold paint job. The final run '57 -'58 were black and gold. Hope that helps!!

Martyn

Congrats on your purchase these ae one of my favorites and I am looking for a C8 or better 100% complete and correct '57-8 (black and gold). v/r Shawn

MaxGlide, Did you buy the red and gold one that was on ebay? It was very clean an ended at a very fair price if you ask me. Post some pictures of it! I love those and wish I had the cash for that one.

X-53 pics

Hi Slick,

It was not from Ebay but a private sale. Fltwd....that helps a lot. I am very excited as well, I love the look of these bikes and have really wanted one. Here are a few pics. I'll post more when I pick it up.

Does anyone have info on serial numbers. The one I was given was 124851

Thanks for your help.

Wayne
x-53 seat.JPG
x-53 right side.JPG
x-53 side view.JPG

Last edited:
Jerry Peters did have some repo headlights for these. I think they were about $125. You may want to check him out. v/r Shawn

I'll try Jerry....

Hi All,

Anybody have a contact number for Mr. Peters?

Thanks... Wayne

Never mind all, found Mr Peters and had a great chat with him. He has no tops (the bottom is a Delta Rocket Ray) for the X-53 light right now but will likely do another run in a few weeks. I will post on here when he has some available. They are $120.

He may also be doing a run on the housing for the tail light. The reflector was a Stimsonite #15 according to him.

Cheers.... Wayne

PS: I wonder if we got together all those who needed one and placed an order for a bunch, if we could wangle a better deal? You know, sure sales and all.

Back