When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer X53

-

SteveF

Finally riding a big boys bike
This has been a bike I've dreamed about owning for years. When one came up for sale on Ebay and it was within a few hours of me, I knew I had to make it mine.
I bought it from the original owner. He and his brother each got one as a Christmas present. His brother was hit by a car while riding his so this is the one that survived. He's owned it for 60 years. The past 55 years it has been quietly sitting in a garage.
He crashed it and the headlight was damaged, along with the fender, so he took it off and threw it away. The pedals were replaced with the western flyer set that is currently on it. He did have some nos fenders that he included with the bike. When I got home I replaced the front fender. The only difference is the original brace is black and riveted on. Tires were replaced at some point with the Uniroyal chain tires that are on it now. Front wheel is missing some spokes so it will need a rebuild.
I plan to clean it up and enjoy this bike for as many years as I can. I'm super excited to have the chance to enjoy such a beautiful, nearly original X53.
20191217_165225.jpg

20191217_165238.jpg

This has been a bike I've dreamed about owning for years. When one came up for sale on Ebay and it was within a few hours of me, I knew I had to make it mine.
I bought it from the original owner. He and his brother each got one as a Christmas present. His brother was hit by a car while riding his so this is the one that survived. He's owned it for 60 years. The past 55 years it has been quietly sitting in a garage.
He crashed it and the headlight was damaged, along with the fender, so he took it off and threw it away. The pedals were replaced with the western flyer set that is currently on it. He did have some nos fenders that he included with the bike. When I got home I replaced the front fender. The only difference is the original brace is black and riveted on. Tires were replaced at some point with the Uniroyal chain tires that are on it now. Front wheel is missing some spokes so it will need a rebuild.
I plan to clean it up and enjoy this bike for as many years as I can. I'm super excited to have the chance to enjoy such a beautiful, nearly original X53.View attachment 1111696

View attachment 1111697
Great bike, cool story, enjoy!

Nice ride!!!

I have a few partial Xs— yours makes me want to start one of mine!!
I've been having a really good time cleaning up this bike. I've soaked a good bit of the chrome parts in citric acid and gotten some really good results. I'm removing oxidation from the paint. Replaced a few spokes in the front wheel. I absolutely love my x53! I can't wait to pick up his older brother in February.

Thing thing that drives me crazy about these bicycles is the “chrome” fenders. I just have a lot of trouble with them. I will shoot some pics of my fenders and see if yours looked similar before you tried the citrus. I have never tried citrus for chrome, maybe it would work?

Back