When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer X53

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Please do post pictures of yours! I love seeing other people's x53. The thing I've discovered about the fenders on them is the chrome on the fenders seems fragile. Even the lightest scrubbing will leave small scratches in the finish.
The citric acid does a great job at softening up the rust so that you barely have to do more than wipe them. Just be patient and let the parts sit in the solution and every hour or so give them a little wipe while the parts are submerged in the solution. An important part of the process is getting the parts as free of grease and dirt as possible before soaking.
Of course if there's chrome loss it won't fix that but it will really surprise you with the results. I bought the citric acid at hobby lobby in 1 lb. bags. A little more expensive that way but locally available so I went with it. A use an appropriate tub and fill it with warm water, add the citric acid, and stir it around so it dissolves before I add my parts.

The last time I tried citric was with a muscle bike project. It was for the frame
And fork.

Do you just use a couple
Of tablespoons? Or quite a bit more?

I use quite a bit more depending on the amount of rust. It seems to be a fairly gentle cleaner. I used almost a pound for the fenders, seat crash bar, and all the springer parts.

I think the reason they sit in the project line, at least for me, is that I get frustrated with the crappy chrome on the rims and how terrible the fenders look and feel and I just move on to something else and they just wait patiently. Maybe someone will have some words of encouragement.

Back