When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western flyer x53

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

STOUT

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am having a hard time putting together the headlight for this project. I bought a repro western top and repro rocketray but I am having a difficult time getting the top to fit the bottom, Any help/input would be great!

Last edited:
Mine also has a repo top and it required a little filing to get a decent (not great) fit. V/r Shawn

Good to know! I thougth I had better check before I went to town on the casing. I feel like its the side metal brackets from the base that don't have enought room.

I have done a couple of the repro headlights and I found that a dremel and a load of bits work the best. You will have to shave down the base also.
What happen is when they make the part, they use a mold from the original, but in the casting process the metal shrinks smaller then the original. This is a natural thing.

When your done grinding it down, bring it to a chrome shop and have them polish it, since it's made of zinc and tin it will polish to a chrome like shine. Then just put a clear on it. That's what I did with this one.

5679674193_211f8ebdf2_o-1.jpg

Untitled by then8j, on Flickr

The picture show a reproduction from Jerry peters off of eBay, they take some work getting them to work but turn out nice.

I have done a couple of the repro headlights and I found that a dremel and a load of bits work the best. You will have to shave down the base also.
What happen is when they make the part, they use a mold from the original, but in the casting process the metal shrinks smaller then the original. This is a natural thing.

When your done grinding it down, bring it to a chrome shop and have them polish it, since it's made of zinc and tin it will polish to a chrome like shine. Then just put a clear on it. That's what I did with this one.

5679674193_211f8ebdf2_o-1.jpg

Untitled by then8j, on Flickr

THAT LOOKS AMAZING! I will definitely take it to get polished! Good to know I have to grind down the bottom as well. I really wasn't sure where to start and I was worried I would grinnd off too much. What kind of bits are you referring to directly with the dremel?

I'm referring to metal grinding bits for your dremmel, get a variety of them and figure out which ones work the best for each area.

Back