When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

brando

On Training Wheels
New to Vintage bikes, hoping one of you veteran enthusiasts can help me on my first pick . I just picked up what appears to be a vintage Western Flyer. I've been having a hard time identifying specifically the year and the model.
20180422_172455.jpg
20180422_172426.jpg
20180422_172421.jpg
20180422_172301.jpg
20180422_172241.jpg

That is a very sweet bike - love the bling! Not much of a better way for you to jump in the pool.

The model is Cosmic Flyer as noted on the chain guard. Looks like Murray dropouts to me but other guys on here have forgotten more than I know. Posting the serial number is crucial for dating and state where it is stamped. There could be a date code stamped on the rear hub shell or brake arm.

Your bike looks like it was kept in a controlled environment so I would be careful how you treat it. Probably all original parts (except new rubber) plus period accessories makes it a very desirable bike.

It was cleaned by someone in the past as their is no oil flow in the obvious places. I would not touch it condition-wise except for a light wiping off as it is great like it sits.

Welcome to the Cabe!

Last edited:
Bikemonkey -

Thank you for the warm welcome and additional insight as to where to find the serial number. I'll take a peek at that later and post for additional assistance. You mentioned in your post something about a Murray dropout. Could you tell me more about that?

Bikemonkey -

Thank you for the warm welcome and additional insight as to where to find the serial number. I'll take a peek at that later and post for additional assistance. You mentioned in your post something about a Murray dropout. Could you tell me more about that?

Nice find, and welcome to the CABE. Each frame component has a name. On the back of the frame, there is a flat piece on each side where the rear wheel attaches to the frame. These flat parts of the frame are known as dropouts.
On your bike they come to a point, indicating that it is a Murray built bicycle.

Although you may find your answer in this forum, I would post the serial number, etc., in the Middleweight forum as that is where folks who specialize in this type of bike congregate.

I was able to locate what appears to be a serial number on the left side of the rear axle ( N0U50X10-1 392751) . Still having troubles locating the bike in the value. Any assistance would be very very appreciated

Back