When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield built Higgins?

-

Gordon

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Not sure what I have here. Has a JC Higgins headbadge but not finding it in the Elgin Hawthorne Higgins book. Any thoughts?

MVC-587S.JPG

MVC-588S.JPG

No serial number that I can find. I was thinking prewar also, but then it would be badged as an Elgin, not a Higgins - correct?. Has the pinch bolt through the frame seat post clamp.

That tank was used post war as well. Tough to tell a 41 from a 45 - 47 because they are essentially the same bike. I'm not an expert on sears branding so I can't speak on that.

Leftovers assembled by westfield as a JCH. Most weren't shown in catalogs because they varied so much. I think Sears only bought odd lots from westfield, after giving their main contract to Murray.

Hey Gordy, I had a bike like this I thought it was a postwar, built by the factory with some left over prewar parts. Mark and Mike the father and son from the Minnesota antique bike club now own it. You could see if they can send you a pic, unfortunately I didn't take pics of the bike.

I really enjoyed reading about the whole Westfield-JC Higgins connection from you CABE'rs!
It turns out I JUST picked-up a JC Higgins (built by Westfield) ... a very nice original "Survivor" from a good friend who traded for this at the Charlotte N.C. Auto Fair last weekend ....
At first I thought this was late '50's .... and THEN ... I noticed FLAT FENDER BRACES .... (which I've always associated (mostly) with Pre-war)
(the rear fender brace was replaced incorrectly at some point and it shouldn't go to the axle nuts... I researched that much)
So after reading these posts ... and digging out my "Book" of JC Higgins/Elgin/Hawthorne bikes I found this EXACT model in the '47 & '48 Catalog pages of Sears & Roebuck .... I have narrowed this down to a 1948 based on the letter "N" on the JC Higgins (Musselman) CB hub.
SO ... this JC Higgins "pre-dates" the whole Colorflow Series Bikes....
The graphics on this bike are in amazing condition for its age! So far ... I have done NO cleaning on this bike for the pictures below...
Enjoy! Cheers! CCR Dave
JC HIG 48 RED PIC 1.jpg

JC HIG 48 RED PIC 2.jpg

JC HIG 48 RED PIC 4.jpg

JC HIG 48 RED PIC 5.jpg

JC HIG 48 RED PIC 6.jpg

Back