When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Elgin Rustoration/Resurrection

-

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
A month ago I bought this 1936(?) Westfield-built Elgin from an older gentleman with a cane. He'd had it for decades and never got around to fixing it up. Here are the before/afters of its rustoration. Everything is the same, with the exception of the drop stand, new grips and tires, and replacing the Torrington Deco Stem with another TDS since the original was broken. Thanks to Frank Boglioli for the helping hand.

Westfield Elgin Before After Driveway.jpg

Westfield Elgin Before After House Rev.jpg

Westfield Elgin Before After Badge.jpg

Westfield Elgin Before After Chainguard.jpg

Westfield Elgin Before After Seat.jpg

Westfield Elgin Before After House Frame.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the Torrington Deco stem with another Torrington Deco stem too. The original was broken when I got it.

Wow, nice! Great job.
Question: what's the difference between a Schwinn hockey stick and the chain guard you have in your Elgin?

Wow, nice! Great job.
Question: what's the difference between a Schwinn hockey stick and the chain guard you have in your Elgin?
Good question–they sure do look alike. Based on the original Elgin ads from the time period, the bike wasn't sold with a chain guard. Interestingly, here are pics of other Elgins from the time period with the same chain guard. (Link to original 2012 thread posted by @rustjunkie: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/37-elgin-oriole-parts-needed.64879/)

"The bike shown in the op is a Murray built, here's a Westfield-built 1937 that I had, it was orig:

20130919_002jpg-1-jpg.jpg

"This picture was taken from the Nov/Dec issue of CBN 2012
Bike is said to be all original and it does have the rack in question and the one that I am seeking to buy. I guess both were available and offered through the Sears catalog during this era."
photo-1-2-jpg.jpg

Back