When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Frame Numbers 1933 - 1945

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi Adrian,
When I was researching the Westfield list on Tuesday, I found it interesting that there were only MG (Military) for serial numbers between 43xxx-46xxx as mine starts with G. My bicycle looks like it was originally blue and white and at some point someone painted red over areas of it.

I can try taking a wire brush to the frame next to the G to see if there is an "M" but it doesn't look like it in this photo.

The badge on the frame is Westfield:

Thank you to the link above to a restored Columbia. That is the paint style that mine looks like it originally came with. Would mine have originally come with a tank and the kickstand that attaches to the rear of the frame?

It looks like the front fender on mine has an area where a torpedo light was once attached.

Last edited:
Dear Johnny, @von_hansel

Thanj you for following up with pictures and information.

I think what you've done is enough to show it isn't a G519, although, as we see above, the frame number and type are exactly right. It's a bit of a mystery, since I can understand Westfield using up overrun frames frames on civilian bikes at the end of a military contract, but this is in the middle, and also there are J3 dated G519 frames that were produced after this.

It's bikes like this that (literally) fill in the gaps, though they raise questions also.

Anyway, a very interesting bike, and thanks for showing it.

As far as what it looked like originally. Westfield certainly were using up prewar parts, but whether a tank was considered essential, I doubt, but things were starnge at that point.

Here is (post 3) a similar bike belonging to @Car&bikeguy555, with the same colours and chainwheel, produced early the same month, but with the Pope badge instead. G35983 / J1. Although not exactly the same model, it is unrestored, and I'd be more inclined to believe i is as it left the factory.

.https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/need-some-westfield-columbia-bicycle-help.150891/

The stand on this looks to be a later fitment. For yours, look on the rear mudguard, below the reflector, if there's two holes drilled into it, one above the other, then it had a clip for the dropstand like the one below ( photo credit @John Gailey ). If not, then it was a kickstand.

1640279482495.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I'm glad I was able to fill in the gaps. We do the same thing with air cooled VWs trying to figure what were the changes at what vin number/date on the smallest of details.

No, my rear mud guard does not have two holes drilled into it for a drop stand.

This is all great info. Thank you for the help and thank you for keeping this thread up to date with tons of great info!

Hi @thericebunnycake

Sorry for the delayed reply.

G14122A / L2 is a Compax F92H, frame made February 1944. I have a note of it going through Ebay previously in August 2020. It was discussed here:

There are a surprising number of survivors known from this block of 100 serial numbers, at 5%. Generally it's less than 1%.

1647250193491.png

G14144A is here at post 77.

@Sarg1969 https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/page-8

Best Regards,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi @thericebunnycake

Sorry for the delayed reply.

G14122A / L2 is a Compax F92H, frame made February 1944. I have a note of it going through Ebay previously in August 2020. It was discussed here:

There are a surprising number of survivors known from this block of 100 serial numbers, at 5%. Generally it's less than 1%.

View attachment 1588493

G14144A is here at post 77.

@Sarg1969 https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/page-8

Best Regards,

Adrian
thanks for the info sir highly appreciated 👌

Hi Adrian,

Another one to add to your list, although it did not have a badge and I'm not sure what is original/missing. I had posted a request for ID thinking it might be a CWC Roadmaster, but it was quickly IDed as a Westfield and possibly Elgin. There is an H5 stamp which I believe puts it at May 1941 and the s/n is F63992. I looked through the old Sears catalogs for 1940-41 to try and find a possible match. There are a few things that have me scratching my head. I'll be the first to admit I'm very new to the vintage bike world, so bear with me. The skip tooth sprocket doesn't seem to match the Elgin models in the catalog or any of the other images I've run across. It also has a catch for a drop stand on the fender, but has what I assume is an aftermarket kickstand. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Hi @elginkid

Thanks for your contribution. Yes, this list is very much being maintained. It is currently around 650 surviving examples from 1910 to 1945. which does lead to the question of how best to provide an update. Suggestions welcome...

I was on holiday when you posted, and missed it, sorry.

N106207 / B8 has a frame made in August 1935, and built up soon after.

Westfield were producing for Elgin at this point, and a lot of 'own brand' badges such as yours.

The closest Lady survivor I have listed is N108882 / B3 (I suspect a badly stamped B8) of @mike j , which is badges Miami.

The nearest Lady Columbus survivor is from 1936, by @genesmachines post 134 here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westfield-frame-numbers-1933-1945.100743/page-14

The colour scheme is close to what you describe on yours.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back