When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Frame Numbers 1933 - 1945

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Dear All,

Please find below Version 1 of a listing of known serial numbers and details of around 200 Westfields built between 1933 and 1945.

This has come from several sources, with various CABE members kindly supplying lists of their own, for which I thank them, as well as my own internet searches here and elsewhere.

The searches on CABE were mainly carried out using the Keywords ‘Columbia 1933’, ‘Columbia 1934’ etc., between 1933 and 1945. I estimate this led to me reading around 1000 topics, and 5000 e-mails for this first list. When I’ve recovered (!), I may go back and search again with other keywords (Elgin, Bluebird etc.). This could explain why your bike is not here if you look for it. If it is not here, or if it is, and you can supply further details, then please let me know here or by PM for a Version 2 list.

Since this is a Version 1, it is not perfect, and is here for corrections and additions to be made. I am not an expert in Westfields, you have (luckily!) Mr. Columbia for that. I was more interested in the frame and BB numbers for dating, but it made sense to collect the other information at the same time.

Types of bicycle are described as accurately as I can from the text, if you have a better identification, again, let me know.

Similarly, I know there are ‘collector’s terms’ for some of the different types of chainwheel. Where I know what these are, I have used them, otherwise they are my own description. Let me know, and I will happily change them to the accepted form.

Where I have not been able to verify information (even if I could guess what it was) then I have put N/K for not known. I hope you will fill in some of these spaces.

BB Codes; These appear to be year/month dating codes for the production of the frame.

A = 1934

B = 1935

C = 1936

D = 1937

E = 1938

F = 1939

G = 1940

H = 1941

I = Not Used

J = 1942

K = 1943

L = 1944

With the number 1 to 12 following indicating the month.

They start at A in 1934, and end in December 1944with some of these frames being built up in early 1945. I have not yet found an ‘A1’, but it may not exist, there is no reason to suppose they started the year with this coding system. But I would love to see one.

When placed in serial number order, the BB codes sometimes dart around a bit, but generally increase. This is probably due to the frames being held in stock after manufacture, then the serial number being stamped on when they started to be built up, from conversation with Mr. Columbia, just before the frame was painted. This is most obvious at year ends, where frames coded, for example L12 (December 1944) have early 1945 serial numbers.

The Prefix letter originally started out as a dating letter (L = 1933, etc.) but during wartime production this was not strictly adhered to, probably to help identify different customers or contracts. In 1943, which should have been prefix G, we see MG, MC, and W (and possibly others, yet to be identified due to the small sample here). The BB numbers remain constant through this period helping to accurately date the frames with unusual serial number.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Best Regards,

Adrian

upload_2016-12-8_13-23-7.png
upload_2016-12-8_13-23-43.png
upload_2016-12-8_13-24-16.png
upload_2016-12-8_13-24-43.png
upload_2016-12-8_13-25-14.png

very nice information you have here, i own 2 westfields and these inputs are of a great help to identify what year model it was created. :)

I wish I saw this before now and I would of added a bunch to you. I will see what I can come up with for you to add. Good stuff, thank you.

I wish I saw this before now and I would of added a bunch to you. I will see what I can come up with for you to add. Good stuff, thank you.

Hi Chris, it was a deep dark days of winter job. Since we are approaching that time again, if you do have any info you'd like to share, then it's a good time to send it through. It'll prompt me to make an updated version (-:

Krakatoa, Merci!

Best Regards,

Adrian

I've got some to add for you.
I'm told by the MrColumbia it's a '45.
It's got the Coffin Sprocket I believe to be Original. Here's a photo only the Frame, Fork and Crankset are original to my knowledge. The frame and forks absolutely. (OG paint)

Serial Number: #J19363

(The "1" sort of stamped like an capitol "i")
IMG_20181117_045647.jpg
IMG_20181117_231335.jpg

IMG_20181118_145952.jpg

Back