When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Frame Numbers 1933 - 1945

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi @Demzie

Thanks for taking the trouble to post your number. Yes, it's a 1945, probably in the first three months.

As you can see from the list, the dating system was changing at that point, and we still don't understand what was happening in 1945. When you get the chance, could you look to see if there is a two digit code on the bottom bracket too, above the serial number? It'll may be something like 2N, or N3, or nothing at all. This all helps.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, just reread your post, yes, the chainwheel is the correct type for this period, and if it was you that fitted the blackout ND hub, that is probably what it would have had originally.

I did fit it myself, got lucky it was included in a package deal with the frame and forks.

I'll be happy to take a look!

Adrian, Do you suppose this was a wartime frame repurposed for civilian use after things settled down?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Laine

Hi Laine,

Thanks for checking when you do. I don't have many examples from that period, and each one helps.

it depends what you mean by wartime frame. It was probably built before April 1945 (end of the war in Europe, and certainly before Sept ember 1945 (Japanese surrender), so it is a wartime frame.

If you mean a military G519 frame, then no, it's not a left over one. There are several reasons why not, but there are two main ones.

The tube between the headtube and bottom bearing is curved. A few very early military bikes used curved tubes, because they were civilian frames. After this early production, the frames were simplified so late military bikes had a straight tube here, so that is what a 'left over at the end of production' frame would have had.

The welds at the end of the tubes appear to be very neat. This is because they are brazed with brass, the standard pre and post war process. Most military bikes were produced when there was a shortage of brass, so the ends of the tubes are gas welded, and look rough. I have also read this makes the frames a little stronger, but have no actual evidence for this.

Finally, a guess. If the date code was before L2 (last known production military bike), then it could be a possibility, but I'm guessing it's later than that.

If I've missed the point of the question, please ask again (-:

Happy Thanksgiving too.

Best Regards,

Adrian

My Westfield is F182628 and the code stamped above the frame number is H8

Airider.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Danfitz1

Thanks for letting me know. F182628 with a code stamp H8 is a frame made in August1941.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi 66TigerCat,

Good to talk with you, as ever (-:

Thanks for showing your Westfield. D1 is a frame made in January 1937, with the bike being assembled shortly after. From the current number list, they were building Bluebirds at the same time (-:

1937 was a poor year for bike sales, so they were rare even then, and it's nice to see one in good condition like yours.

Hi Manuel Rivera. D = 1937, 1 = January, so the frame was made then, but you may be close with an assembly date.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back