When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield frame??

-
more like Schwinn...
I thought that the serial numbers looked like Schwinn or Emblem, or Mead (but then if Mead was a jobber, who made the parts for them).
Emblem used smaller truss tubes, but it does not look small; Schwinn used large truss tubes, so I asked for a measurement, but got a picture that makes the top tube look small. And another asked for pictures of the back side of the sprocket, but got pictures of the front.
I have seen Miami built Meads, but Miami may have used the small truss tubes like Emblem. Don’t know the differences between Mead and Premier.
The variations of the coffin chain ring have me thinking about my own assumptions.

Last edited:
And here’s where we start peeling back the layers...Mead acquired Premier Cycle Works...so there's is a possibility the frame could be a Mead?

Interestingly, the frame does have design similarities of the Sears Chief made by the Davis Sewing Machine Co. (of course the Chief didn't have the trumpet lugs). But Sears was notorious for plagiarizing and rebadging manufacturers top tier bikes then would sell them for less in their catalogs.

Plus, they had a strange relationship with Davis...some say they controlled Davis, had them manufacture several spin-off name brands. (I haven’t found evidence of any coercion just this small article).
There's plenty documented evidence that Sears was Davis's biggest client and when Sears ended their contract with Davis to make their sewing machines, it forced Davis to file bankruptcy!

Also did you know Sears proudly promoted their owned bicycle manufacturing factory…stating they made almost everything in-house…or did they? It’s a mystery!

Plus, during this period manufactures didn't have control of their product's destiny...it was the jobbers who control everything! They were feeding the mail-order “beast,” supplying and buying for them in large quantities! Or assembling their own nameplate bikes. They'd secretly purchased from multiple manufacturers and if complete bicycles were not available, they would buy just the frames and piece the bikes together (the forks and cranksets were in the jobbers’ wheelhouse). No one was the wiser? Because who was checking that the parts were incorrect? This was a big issue with the manufacturers! This may account for the many unexplainable parts and anomalies found on bicycles from this period? This frame maybe a jobber's special brand?

Then there were the second hands bikes! This frame's origins may have been a trade-in or even stolen. Parts; chainrings and handlebars, and saddles were swapped out and frames repainted....this was pervasive nationwide.

Then there were the manufacturers with their overstock bikes, selling them to whom ever for cheap.

Everything I've posted above is merely food for thought...there were so many unknowns during this period. Asking to ID a frame with so little to go on is very difficult...the best we can do is to offer wild conjectures. Shawn's absolutely right...your best bet on ID'ing this frame is finding the badge that matches the ghosting on its head tube.

Last edited:
Below from the sprocket compilation thread is a picture of what is believed to be a Pope/Westfield with the round ends instead of coffin-type ends on the fingers........see below. It could be that this chainring is original to the frame and either early Westy or Pope....

1586879017463.png

...ah yes, the mystery as to the DD sprocket's origin...was it really proprietary to Pope?

The honor for the patent on the DD chainring goes to Charles Dikeman.
The chainring was linked to the Eagle bicycle line.

Eagle went out of business sometime in 1904-05? Its possible that Pope may have bought the patent? I don't know.
Sorry, I digressed for a minute...I just wanted to give you a nugget about the DD chainring.

Back to mystery of the frame...is it a Westfield? Well, SKPC gave us part of the answer in the #14 posting. "...from the sprocket compilation thread is a picture of what is believed to be a Pope/Westfield with the round ends"

What's omitted from the source https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/sprocket-compilation-pic-heavy.41683/ SQRLY #4 posting, "seen on a late 20's or early 30's Hawthorne Flyer motobikes..."

Guess what? Voila!

If I were a betting man...I'll put my last dime down that this frame's ID is a Hawthorne!

Last edited:
Great thread! Bump! Fordsnake...be careful my wise friend as you are not a betting man! But betting your last dime? As you mentioned earlier it is extremely difficult to id a frame maker to begin with from this period and unless the head badge is intact it is even more difficult: sad to say most badges on these old frames have been removed. And remember that the "jobbers" or wholesalers that put bikes together for retail or mail order outlets pieced bikes together and the buyer was unaware this was going on as shown in your news articles... Many retailers or mail order outfits could have had this bike put together by jobbers. The 1st Hawthorne picture you posted above seemed to me to be dead-on to the mystery bike/crank and I was about to bet also....until I looked at the bend in the top tubes and collared truss connection to the seat mast and lack of trumpets. Even so, this bike could still very well be a Hawthorne-badged motorbike regardless of the frame differences...I still want to know who made the frame...

Last edited:
If I were a betting man...I'll put my last dime down that this frame's i.d. is a Hawthorne!
[/QUOTE]

I own a Westfield Built ‘29 Hawthorne Flyer
But... I read somewhere that the
Hawthorne De Lux was Schwinn Built.

Lastly, I have this drive side crank I have yet to identify. Similar to the two piece above.
9B0BE5F5-B7BB-46C3-A67F-FC923BEAC4E4.jpeg

F4A240C2-07E0-454E-AF5A-57612425F57E.jpeg

Very good read, bump. Teens/early 20's information for the era provided by @fordsnake above.
The frame in question may be a Schwinn with early Pope/Westfield crankset/ring? @dasberger Interesting the way the artist rendered the
look of the one piece crank at the sprocket interface on the 1930 ad below.

Back