When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield lightweight

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jeep44

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here is another bike I picked up this week-a Westfield Lightweight. The number under the crank is F34110, and according to the charts at "Mr Columbia" this would make it a 1941. Could this be possible? I thought a bike of that vintage would have a skip-tooth chain, instead of this 1/2" pitch chain. The rear hub is a musselman-the first of that type I have seen. I bought it to use the fenders on another Columbia I just bought, but this bike is growing on me. Too bad my wife doesn't know how to ride a bike (She grew up in Korea, at a time when girls didn't ride bikes)

S6000616-1.jpg

Westfield was an early user of now standard 1/2" pitch chain. But they also made skiptooth bikes at the same time. I have Classic Bicycle News' prewar columbia book (recommended!) and it shows this style frame in 1937, though it has a different chain guard. So it probably is a '41, aside from the seat, grips, and basket.

Thanks. The seat is a Mesinger, but the cover seems to be a fabric, instead of leather or rubber. The tires seem to be original, but aside from a "made in USA", I can find no other markings. The person I got it from said that it had hung in a shed for many,many years.

Back