When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Sports Compax Traveler, True barn find!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Slick4d4d

Finally riding a big boys bike
Here is my latest find, I've been looking for one of these bikes for a while and now I have one! It may be rusty but it is the Military model, I belive the F92H from 1945 based on the serial number, with all the black-out parts on it. I plan on making it rideable and keeping the patina but I will need a peddle if anyone has one, and I'd like a little more clarification on the history of this bike, could it have been sold to a military base or was this sold to civilians, with the switch to J in 1945 I'm confused as to whether or not they still had a military stamping identification.

Also I noted on the chart a few N/K, if that stands for "Not Known" maybe this bike can help fill in a few N/K's.

2021-06-02 11.57.05.jpg

2021-06-02 11.58.35.jpg

2021-06-02 11.58.57.jpg

2021-06-02 11.59.17.jpg

2021-06-02 11.59.50.jpg

2021-06-02 12.00.22.jpg

2021-06-02 12.00.57.jpg

1605528321986.png

Although this model was made as a "Military Model" they were sold for qualified civilian use as well. I have one that came from the Navel Air Base at Lakehurst N.J. Even so it was originally in wartime blackout and had a maroon frame. There was no added "Military" stamping, just factory stamping like yours.
Thanks, so there is a chance that this came from a base!

I thought the military models were all balloon tire. This does have the extra brace, but it might just be leftover stock being used up.

Hi @Slick4d4d

(Thanks for the notice, @blackcat (-: )

I compiled the list you are looking at, and, yes N/K is not known, and I'm always happy to fill in those gaps. (-:

Please couls you confirm the number for me? I seem to read J34??9, which makes it an early 1945 frame, probably February or March. If you look above the stamping you might find N2, 2N, 3N, or N3. That would help tie down a more exact date (and remove a N/K). If there's nothing, that's useful to know too.

Post 19 here will show you what to look for:

As mentioned above, it's an F92L, there are no known M for military stamped frames of this type, but the reinforced frame is a WW2 only thing. The Lightweight frames like this were made throughout the war, and the Balloon tyred ones from around February 1944 onwards.

Certainly there are photos of mainly USMC units using civilian pattern wartime bicycles, mainly for training and recreation, so, yes, there is a chance it could have been bought in and used by the military during this period.

The link is to the only photo of a reinforced frame Compax I've seen so far in military service, likely a recreational bike in the USA.

It looks quite savable, you may want to look up some of the Molassas treatments discussed on the site. These bikes break down to quite small parts, so it would be easier than with a one piece frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Does anyone know who made this chart
1605528321986.png

By my serial number the chart says my bike is a F92H but the ad below says that's the balloon tire version so I was wondering if that's a typo in the chart and if so what might that affect on the chart?
1943-Compax-Military-Models-2-Copy.jpg

Back