When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Sports Compax Traveler, True barn find!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
(Thanks for the notice, @blackcat (-: )

I compiled the list you are looking at, and, yes N/K is not known, and I'm always happy to fill in those gaps. (-:

Please couls you confirm the number for me? I seem to read J34??9, which makes it an early 1945 frame, probably February or March. If you look above the stamping you might find N2, 2N, 3N, or N3. That would help tie down a more exact date (and remove a N/K). If there's nothing, that's useful to know too.

Post 19 here will show you what to look for:

As mentioned above, it's an F92L, there are no known M for military stamped frames of this type, but the reinforced frame is a WW2 only thing. The Lightweight frames like this were made throughout the war, and the Balloon tyred ones from around February 1944 onwards.

Certainly there are photos of mainly USMC units using civilian pattern wartime bicycles, mainly for training and recreation, so, yes, there is a chance it could have been bought in and used by the military during this period.

The link is to the only photo of a reinforced frame Compax I've seen so far in military service, likely a recreational bike in the USA.

It looks quite savable, you may want to look up some of the Molassas treatments discussed on the site. These bikes break down to quite small parts, so it would be easier than with a one piece frame.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hello Adrian,
Thanks for the info, I also just posted a question about the chart and my serial number falling under the 92H when it is actually a 92L so I guess that would be answered by you. I can make out much of the rest of the serial number or any other marks around it except for what looks like a partial "2". I will try to get something to clean off the rust to see what I can discover! Hopefully this bike helps fill in the chart.
Best Regards,
Sam

Hi @Slick4d4d

(Started writing, then saw you'd figured it out) (-:

I wrote the chart. I'm happy you're taking the trouble to add to and check it. Every piece of information helps someone else in future.

There's no urgency for the number, but if you'd put an @Mercian on your reply to alert me when you publish it, I'd appreciate that.

Incidentally, Honda motorcycles use the same spring for centre stands as is missing from your side stand, they are easy to find on Ebay (and very hard to put a new one in place!)

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Slick4d4d

(Started writing, then saw you'd figured it out) (-:

I wrote the chart. I'm happy you're taking the trouble to add to and check it. Every piece of information helps someone else in future.

There's no urgency for the number, but if you'd put an @Mercian on your reply to alert me when you publish it, I'd appreciate that.

Incidentally, Honda motorcycles use the same spring for centre stands as is missing from your side stand, they are easy to find on Ebay (and very hard to put a new one in place!)

Best Regards,

Adrian
I had to check right away as I enjoy finding out the history of these bike as much as I enjoy having them.

The number is J34939 and there is a "2" over the 4 and an "N" over the last line. I am very curious as to how this fits in the chart as the serial number says it's 92H when it is clearly a 92L as the original ad says and many have pointed out.
20210602_150844.jpg

And thanks for the spring information, I was wondering how to make that stay up. The only other thing I can see I need is a right side pedal, is there any chance you may know where I can find one?

Hi Sam ( @Slick4d4d )

Below, you can see I've updated the list with your bike. 2N is a February 1945 made frame, but the bicycle was built up in March 1945 or April 1945, since there are a couple of bikes with lower serial numbers, but N3 (March 1945) listed before yours.

As you can see, the serial numbers are really indicative of models, they just seem to have stamped up the completed bikes as they arrived at the stamping station, regardless of model, so you could have totally different bike models with sequential numbers.

Either way, yours is a F 92L. The Mil designation is a way of me keeping track of the reinforced and non reinforced versions, and is not an official designation.

The Blue colour is original to this bike.

Please take a picture of your other pedal end-on so that we can tell what model it is.

Best Regards,

Adrian

1622661964216.png

Hi Sam @Slick4d4d

That looks like a Torrington 8 pedal. You may find an 8 stamped on the dome on the outside, and Torrington USA on the innerplate when you clean it.

They turn up quite often on the sales board here, sometimes singles, but it's proabably going to be easier to buy a matched pair, like these:

Yours were probably originally 'Blackout', which is harder to find, or you could buy some rougher pedals, remove the chrome and paint black. Your choice.

I can't tell if the pedal blocks are wooden or not. If they are, it is more difficult to find wood block Torrington 8's, but if you buy them with rubber blocks they can be replaced by wood blocks if you prefer. The blocks occasionally turn up on the sales on CABE, or good new reproductions from:

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

I saw that on Facebook. Did you get it for less than the $100 they were asking?

Hi Sam @Slick4d4d

That looks like a Torrington 8 pedal. You may find an 8 stamped on the dome on the outside, and Torrington USA on the innerplate when you clean it.

They turn up quite often on the sales board here, sometimes singles, but it's proabably going to be easier to buy a matched pair, like these:

Yours were probably originally 'Blackout', which is harder to find, or you could buy some rougher pedals, remove the chrome and paint black. Your choice.

I can't tell if the pedal blocks are wooden or not. If they are, it is more difficult to find wood block Torrington 8's, but if you buy them with rubber blocks they can be replaced by wood blocks if you prefer. The blocks occasionally turn up on the sales on CABE, or good new reproductions from:

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hello;
The F92L J10452 that i know in France still has the original TORRINGTON "8 with its rubber blocks.
Regards;
Serge

Back