When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield Wednesday! Show Your Bikes Here.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thank Goodness for Westfield Wednesday.
I was thinking of how I was going to make it until the Show and Tell forum Sunday.
This is Ethel.
She's from Massachusetts but has lived in Canada for many years.
We met on line a couple of days ago when I saw her picture and profile.
She agreed to meet me at her end of the city after a short chat.
I like my bikes a little on the trashy side, so I bought the ticket and took the ride. A Bus and Subway ticket that is,.....The TTC, The Red Rocket. (Toronto Transit Commission)
I liked what I saw and after a short discussion and negotiation, it was agreed that she would come home with me that night.
As I staring across the Subway aisle on the ride across town with her my imagination raced with thoughts of all the things I wanted to do with her.
She wasn't much of a looker, but she had some attractive bits that all the boys would like to get their hands on.
I was originally eye balling the triple step rims and stand clip, then thought......I've never had a flipped frame bike and RRB Build Off 16 is underway and....and...and...
View attachment 1430942
Well, as it turns out, I was more respectful of old Ethel than I'd expected to be honest and left all her bits right where the good factory people put them some time ago.
View attachment 1430944
I ran short on grease to rebuild the Model D hubs and lent her a pair of hoops and shoes for the photos.
I added a misc pair of Chair pedals,
some Columbia grips, repaired truss rod and recovered seat.( with leather from a neighbour that I got while taking pics.)
(sadly, the seat has one broken saddle come spring, but still works for now) View attachment 1430945
The spring fling with the lady from the other side of town is going well.
I don't know if she'll borrow a drop stand or get one of her own one day. I'm low one stand and one clip after shipping my 'spare' recently.
Nice old girl but she hasn't even told me her age yet. D94787 F7
View attachment 1430955
View attachment 1430970

View attachment 1430943
Beautiful bicycle. Great color combo.

Hi @Wheeler

Glad you decided to clean her up, she's not come out bad.

D94787 F7 is a July 1939 frame, so get her something nice for her birthday (-:

Please could you tell me which headbadge and brake unit she has?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks for the info Adrian,
She and I share the same birth month. I used that as my excuse to buy my twin six years ago.
Badged as Monark.

Model D with discs. Are tabs in brake disc supposed to have a 45 degree bend?

I'm still rolling on place holders until sorted.
The Elgin kindly offered his stand for the lady. So that's how a the clip is supposed to work.
The light, horn and mystery ornament were on hand and unassigned.

Here, You see the Elgin now leaning coyly in the shadows beside his cousin.

I think the Elgin was born a Westfield, but lives with Murray parts...and Shimano.

Hi @Wheeler

Thanks for the additional information (and I forgot to mention sharing the story of how you first met (-: ).

A Monarch badged Westfield is a first for me.

If your Elgin would offer up it's numbers, then we could determine the maker and date it too, if you like?

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @Wheeler

Thanks for the additional information (and I forgot to mention sharing the story of how you first met (-: ).

A Monarch badged Westfield is a first for me.

If your Elgin would offer up it's numbers, then we could determine the maker and date it too, if you like?

Best Regards,

Adrian
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the reminder and offer of help to check the Elgin's serial number.
I just took a quick gander and didn't locate the serial number.
Shrouded near bottom bracket?' I'll assume for now.
I will inquire it's vintage as soon as I uncover those numbers again.
The brush painted Elgin came to me with skip tooth plate crank, partial Twinn 40 package, model D and triple steps.
I chose the 30 model shroud as a replacement and the later Murray 1/2" was on hand.
For the full story...much like the bike... never ending and I haven't pieced one together yet.
Thanks, Dan

Last edited:
Wow that looks like the Miami Sears I went to many times on Biscayne Blvd back in the 60s and 70s. I think the city kept part of the building as a historical site.
Sears, West Coast distribution center,
Los Angeles, California.

Back