When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westfield with a Higgins badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

1969cat

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I have had this bike a few years and wondered why it has a Higgins badge. I know while some company's were on strike others were taking the work on.

prewar bike 005.jpg

prewar bike 007.jpg

prewar bike 006.jpg

prewar bike 004.jpg

The name change was right after the war. This, from the serial numbers is a 1946 so that makes sense.

It has a JC HIGGINS badge because Westfield Mfg made it for Sears. Sears was not a manufacturing company but simply the retailer. No strike involved.

It has a JC HIGGINS badge because Westfield Mfg made it for Sears. Sears was not a manufacturing company but simply the retailer. No strike involved.
Mr. Columbia is correct , no strike was involved , every year retailers like Sears would accept bids from the various bike manufactures , low bid naturally won but to keep manufactures to keep bidding next year they would "thow them a bone" and order a small quanity from the losing bidders

Mr. Columbia is correct , no strike was involved , every year retailers like Sears would accept bids from the various bike manufactures , low bid naturally won but to keep manufactures to keep bidding next year they would "thow them a bone" and order a small quanity from the losing bidders
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Westfield was Sears' main supplier during the Elgin era, up to 1938. Then, Murray got the lion's share. But they still bought from Westfield, as well as Monark, in smaller quantities.

Back