When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s new is old again...

-

Ozark Flyer

I live for the CABE
I have an old beater that I’m riding right now. It had a repainted chain guard missing the decal. I put a new decal on it which stood out like a sore thumb So I set out to distress it to match the Original seat post decal as best as my skills allow. The issue I could not resolve is the red color that fades to orange In the original. You can see this in the attached photo. Any advice from the experts out there?

C4579D53-7B42-496F-83A7-80F3C68B0A66.jpeg

What they said. Looks fantastic. Want to divulge techniques you used?
I don’t mind at all.
1. Start with a coat of Microset decal setting solution so the decal is well “stuck” to the paint. Let set overnight.
2. Take a utility or Exacto knife and give it a few nicks and scratches, dragging the tip of the blade sideways taking very small bits off around the edges and adding a couple of scratches.
3. Buff VERY lightly with a 0000 scrubbie pad to take the shine off the decal and take the edges off the new nicks and scratches.
4. Use a folded paper towel to VERY lightly wipe walnut wood stain all over the decal. Use caution! The stain will soften the decal. Use just the corner of the paper towel to apply and another clean paper towel to gently remove excess to the desired darkness. Let dry completely.
5. Coat entire area with brown wax to blend decal and surrounding paint to uniform patina.

nothing to it.

Back