When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the fastest anyone’s ever gone on a Schwinn Stingray?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wrote out a draft for the rules:

World’s Fastest Schwinn Stingray Competition

Frame

Bike must make use of a Chicago built, 1963 1/2 to 1980 20” Cantilever Schwinn Stingray frame. Frame may be shorty style, longer style or Krate style.
16”, 12” and Fastback frames are not allowed.
The frame must be integral to the craft.
The frame may be modified in the following ways:
Frame braze-ons can be deleted. (Kickstand mount, chain guard mounts, fender mount brace.)
Rear dropouts can be made smaller or streamlined, but any dropouts present must be original. Dropouts may have additional holes.
All original frame tubing must be present, including seat post nub.
Frame tubing can be modified in the following ways:
Small holes can be drilled in the frame tubing to allow cables to run through the frame.
Rear frame triangle tubes can be cold set, bent inwards or outwards to accommodate larger or smaller rear wheels, rear swing-arm, low rider position, etc. However, tubes may not be chopped or cut to accomplish this. Cold setting only. From the side the frame must maintain stock lines. Frame tubes may not be bent up or down, as viewed from the side.

Fork

Front fork must be a Schwinn Chicago built Ashtabula or Springer style fork from any bike that said Sting-Ray on the chain guard. This includes Krates, Stingrays, Fastbacks, Midget Stingrays, Runabouts, Pixies, Lil’ Tigers, etc.
Forks may not be chopped.
Forks may have holes drilled to mount handlebars.
Forks may have mounts for handlebars welded on.
Forks may be reinforced with any kind of truss, brazing, extra metal, but the stock fork must remain.

Aero

Front and rear and bottom partial Aero fairings are allowed. However, as viewed from the side, 80% of the original Schwinn Stingray Frame must be visible. 80% of the front fork must be visible, as viewed from the side.

Wheelbase, Swing Arms, Frame Extension

Maximum wheelbase is 50”.
Rear swing-arm or frame extensions may be mounted to extend the wheelbase at the rear of the frame, allowing for lower riding position stability and safety at speed.
Rear swing-arm or frame extender may be of custom manufacture or design, but must be made of steel.

Wheels

Wheels may be no larger than 20”. Smaller wheels may be used.
Wheels may be any material or manufacture.
Front wheel may not have a wheel disc, and must have spokes. No mag or blade wheels.
Deep V rims ok.
Rear wheel may have a wheel disc.

Seat

The bike must have some kind of banana style seat. Seat can be chopped to make it narrower, wider, shorter, longer, etc. It must be a minimum of ten inches long and three inches wide. Seat can be any manufacture of material, or can be custom, but must resemble a banana or solo polo seat in appearance and spirit.

Crank, Pedals and Gearing

Functioning crank, pedals, chain and gearing are not required. Bikes may be gravity powered.
Any cranks, pedals or gearing present may be of any make, type or manufacture.

Power

No added power is allowed. This includes electric or gas power. Only human power and gravity may be used.

Handlebars and Grips

Grips must be Schwinn style. Repro or 80s cushion style Schwinn grips ok.
Any handlebar tubing present must be from a Schwinn that said Stingray on the chain guard.

Chain guard

No chain guard is required.
Any chain guard present must be from a Chicago built bike that said Stingray on the chain guard.

Knee Boards and Pegs

Knee boards may be present to allow for a low riding position. Rear pegs may be present.

Ballast

No more than 25 pounds of ballast external to the bicycle frame may be added to the bicycle. Frame tubes may be filled with material to make the frame itself heavier.
Maximum bicycle weight is 75 pounds.

IGBA Eligibility

Bicycle must be legal for competition with other gravity bikes under standard International Gravity Bicycle Association rules. Bicycle may qualify for either Fairing or Non-fairing classes.

Brakes

Brakes may be any make or manufacture. Bicycle must be equipped with front and rear brakes that can stop the bicycle from 100kph to 0 in 100 meters, as per the IGBA rules. Rim brakes, drum brakes, disc brakes, coaster brakes all ok.

I don't know... doesn't allow for very much creativity to squeak out 100mph. Fastest Stingray of course, but 100? nah

I don't know... doesn't allow for very much creativity to squeak out 100mph. Fastest Stingray of course, but 100? nah

The speed record goal with these parameters would be 100kph, or 62mph.

100mph would require a pace vehicle in front to block all the wind, or a fully streamlined aero shroud for downhill gravity travel.

The first would require a lot of money and a world class athlete.

The second would require a super long downhill slope and there might not be one in the world long enough to do it safely.

100mph could be done with gas or electric power but added power doesn’t really go along with the spirit of the Stingray, IMHO.

Well I guess we’re talking about three different classes:

1. Paced and pedal powered

2. Gravity powered

4. Gas/Electric powered

I’d like to go for the gravity powered record since it seems the safest and most economical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 40 years ago, when I was in my early 20s, I rode an Orange Krate about ten miles to work one morning. This included going down a very large hill on a main highway and I was keeping up with traffic which usually goes about forty to fifty mph. It was VERY sketchy as that springer front end was loosy-goosey and I was in a high-speed wobble unless I put my right foot forward onto the tiny stub of the front axle and pressed to the left to steady the front end. I was lucky to get down the hill without dumping it for sure. Never rode that thing much after that, and not long after I gave the Krate to a junk shop when I was clearing my stuff out of my parent's house.

Does the WFS (worlds fastest Stingray) need to be box stock?
Can we use drop handle bars and rear sets?
I agree that it should be a downhill, mostly gravity powered event.
- I think disk or drum brakes should be allowed for safety.

Does the WFS (worlds fastest Stingray) need to be box stock?
Can we use drop handle bars and rear sets?
I agree that it should be a downhill, mostly gravity powered event.
- I think disk or drum brakes should be allowed for safety.

Agreed!
The draft rules above allow for a heavily modified bike and a requirement for good brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worlds Fastest Stingray has to be a complete stock Stingray or it just makes no sense. if all that remains is the frame you may as well put it in the trunk of a Bonneville streamliner and go 400 MPH.
I doubt a stock coaster brake Stingray will do over 40 with a full size adult on it.

commercial airplanes go 500 MPH... why drop it out? besides any record needs a backup run. you can only drop them once.

Back