What’s up with this HUGE BELL on a recent 1899 Iver Johnson Roadster find

This ad disappears when logged in

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
I recently was fortunate enough to locate and acquire this 1899 Iver Johnson Mens Roadster that I am 110% sure has been resting untouched for decades in a Maine attic. I’ll post more about this find (and its mate) soon. However, the thing that I find kind of interesting is the huge bell that is attached to the seat stays. I believe this was made for a bicycle because it has dedicated hardware to mount it to the stays, and a very interesting and unique “guide” that mounts on the seat tube for a piece of wire or string that when pulled, operates the bell. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? Pete in Fitchburg

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

R

removed

I recently was fortunate enough to locate and acquire this 1899 Iver Johnson Mens Roadster that I am 110% sure has been resting untouched for decades in a Maine attic. I’ll post more about this find (and its mate) soon. However, the thing that I find kind of interesting is the huge bell that is attached to the seat stays. I believe this was made for a bicycle because it has dedicated hardware to mount it to the stays, and a very interesting and unique “guide” that mounts on the seat tube for a piece of wire or string that when pulled, operates the bell. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? Pete in Fitchburg

Could that be a "ring" bell. Bare knuckle era???

View attachment 806521 View attachment 806522 View attachment 806523 View attachment 806524 View attachment 806525 View attachment 806526 View attachment 806527

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Geez, If you're gunna pick stuff outta my back yard you could at least stop in and say Hi before you leave.
Ha, Ha.........................Hi Chris, don't know how you missed these..........they probably were in your backyard !! I got a tip on these from a couple moving from a historic house on "Davis Island", Maine. There's a very interesting story that goes with these bikes and I'll get it together soon and post it. Pete in Fitchburg

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Hi mongeese, Do you think this was originally a house bell? The two things that make me think it was manufactured for a bike is the hardware that attaches it to the seat stays..................it's very similar to the way a rear carrier attaches, and that special piece that attaches to the seat tube to guide a wire. Not sure myself but hope to find some definite answers here. Pete in Fitchburg

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Nov 9, 2011
Midcoast, ME
Ha, Ha.........................Hi Chris, don't know how you missed these..........they probably were in your backyard !! I got a tip on these from a couple moving from a historic house on "Davis Island", Maine. There's a very interesting story that goes with these bikes and I'll get it together soon and post it. Pete in Fitchburg
Damn, that's less than 20 miles away. What do you mean "these bikes?" I'm only seeing one. I think I've seen that bell on a Copake Pierce before. Is it possible it was a thing for Velodrome racing? Like a "pace car" bike?

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Damn, that's less than 20 miles away. What do you mean "these bikes?" I'm only seeing one. I think I've seen that bell on a Copake Pierce before. Is it possible it was a thing for Velodrome racing? Like a "pace car" bike?
Hi Chris, There was a Mens and a Ladies set of 1899 Ivers that I was able to buy. Pete inFitchburg

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Darn it all Chris, I have to hand it to you !! I went to the Copake Auction site and searched for "Pierce" bicycles, and there it was in the 2017 auction. In the Copake auction description it also says, "Note very rare lap gong bell mounted on rear of frame". Also, according to the description, this is a 1904 Model 121 Pierce. Here are the pics. It is absolutely the identical bell !!
pierce 1.jpg
pierce4.jpg
pierce 2.jpg
pierce 3.jpg

Last edited:

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Nov 9, 2011
Midcoast, ME
Darn it all Chris, I have to hand it to you !! I went to the Copake Auction site and searched for "Pierce" bicycles, and there it was in the 2017 auction. In the Copake auction description it also says, "Note very rare lap gong bell mounted on rear of frame". Also, according to the description, this is a 1904 Model 121 Pierce. Here are the pics. It is absolutely the identical bell !! View attachment 806733 View attachment 806734 View attachment 806735 View attachment 806737
I may not be able to remember the laundry I needed to put in the dryer several days ago but I never forget a bike.

Handyman

I live for the CABE
Oct 23, 2009
Fitchburg, MA
Yes, I purchased the Pierce mentioned in this string at the Copake auction and did a thorough cleaning and repair. It's in very nice original condition.
Hi Rhcap, Great looking Pierce racer you have there!! Does the bell on the rear of your bike have any manufacturer markings on it or any other info on it?? Pete in Fitchburg

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$10.00
eBay Auction Picture
$14.50
eBay Auction Picture
$250.00
eBay Auction Picture
$2.00
eBay Auction Picture
$150.00
eBay Auction Picture