When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s up with this HUGE BELL on a recent 1899 Iver Johnson Roadster find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Handyman

I live for the CABE
I recently was fortunate enough to locate and acquire this 1899 Iver Johnson Mens Roadster that I am 110% sure has been resting untouched for decades in a Maine attic. I’ll post more about this find (and its mate) soon. However, the thing that I find kind of interesting is the huge bell that is attached to the seat stays. I believe this was made for a bicycle because it has dedicated hardware to mount it to the stays, and a very interesting and unique “guide” that mounts on the seat tube for a piece of wire or string that when pulled, operates the bell. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? Pete in Fitchburg

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

I recently was fortunate enough to locate and acquire this 1899 Iver Johnson Mens Roadster that I am 110% sure has been resting untouched for decades in a Maine attic. I’ll post more about this find (and its mate) soon. However, the thing that I find kind of interesting is the huge bell that is attached to the seat stays. I believe this was made for a bicycle because it has dedicated hardware to mount it to the stays, and a very interesting and unique “guide” that mounts on the seat tube for a piece of wire or string that when pulled, operates the bell. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?? Pete in Fitchburg

Could that be a "ring" bell. Bare knuckle era???

View attachment 806521 View attachment 806522 View attachment 806523 View attachment 806524 View attachment 806525 View attachment 806526 View attachment 806527

Geez, If you're gunna pick stuff outta my back yard you could at least stop in and say Hi before you leave.

Ha, Ha.........................Hi Chris, don't know how you missed these..........they probably were in your backyard !! I got a tip on these from a couple moving from a historic house on "Davis Island", Maine. There's a very interesting story that goes with these bikes and I'll get it together soon and post it. Pete in Fitchburg

Brass doorbell

Hi mongeese, Do you think this was originally a house bell? The two things that make me think it was manufactured for a bike is the hardware that attaches it to the seat stays..................it's very similar to the way a rear carrier attaches, and that special piece that attaches to the seat tube to guide a wire. Not sure myself but hope to find some definite answers here. Pete in Fitchburg

Ha, Ha.........................Hi Chris, don't know how you missed these..........they probably were in your backyard !! I got a tip on these from a couple moving from a historic house on "Davis Island", Maine. There's a very interesting story that goes with these bikes and I'll get it together soon and post it. Pete in Fitchburg

Damn, that's less than 20 miles away. What do you mean "these bikes?" I'm only seeing one. I think I've seen that bell on a Copake Pierce before. Is it possible it was a thing for Velodrome racing? Like a "pace car" bike?

Damn, that's less than 20 miles away. What do you mean "these bikes?" I'm only seeing one. I think I've seen that bell on a Copake Pierce before. Is it possible it was a thing for Velodrome racing? Like a "pace car" bike?

Hi Chris, There was a Mens and a Ladies set of 1899 Ivers that I was able to buy. Pete inFitchburg

Back