When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s up with this HUGE BELL on a recent 1899 Iver Johnson Roadster find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Damn, that's less than 20 miles away. What do you mean "these bikes?" I'm only seeing one. I think I've seen that bell on a Copake Pierce before. Is it possible it was a thing for Velodrome racing? Like a "pace car" bike?

Darn it all Chris, I have to hand it to you !! I went to the Copake Auction site and searched for "Pierce" bicycles, and there it was in the 2017 auction. In the Copake auction description it also says, "Note very rare lap gong bell mounted on rear of frame". Also, according to the description, this is a 1904 Model 121 Pierce. Here are the pics. It is absolutely the identical bell !!
pierce 1.jpg
pierce4.jpg
pierce 2.jpg
pierce 3.jpg

Last edited:
Darn it all Chris, I have to hand it to you !! I went to the Copake Auction site and searched for "Pierce" bicycles, and there it was in the 2017 auction. In the Copake auction description it also says, "Note very rare lap gong bell mounted on rear of frame". Also, according to the description, this is a 1904 Model 121 Pierce. Here are the pics. It is absolutely the identical bell !!View attachment 806733 View attachment 806734 View attachment 806735 View attachment 806737

I may not be able to remember the laundry I needed to put in the dryer several days ago but I never forget a bike.

Yes, I purchased the Pierce mentioned in this string at the Copake auction and did a thorough cleaning and repair. It's in very nice original condition.
Hi Rhcap, Great looking Pierce racer you have there!! Does the bell on the rear of your bike have any manufacturer markings on it or any other info on it?? Pete in Fitchburg

The bell could have been made by Arcade Toy & Hardware Company.This company did make all types of cast iron hardware and bells, before producing toys....
E762A1BB-6359-431B-B02F-E36C5F838AA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back