When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a 1990 find this weekend - 700D!

-

Chad H

Look Ma, No Hands!
Had a bunch of free credit at a local Seattle used/new bike shop (traded in a free bike to me for a bunch of credit).
Out front there was a 19" 1990 GT Tachyon that was in good shape but in real need of a overhaul. I actually had a new Bianchi Project 7 700D that I gifted and kinda always kicked myself in the butt and been on the search for another bike close to that unique "D-ness".
Complete OE spec except for the post/saddle. Rocked the Suntour Command shifters and when they were new so all very familiar.
Have boat loads of NOS Superbe, XC Pro, Compe and even the love/hated MT twist shifters so this bike will potentially live many different lives.
It came with Soma 650b 38mm tires but upped the game to 47mm and they fit fine (3mm diff in 700D to 650B).
O-hauled at the shop today and had a shake down 12mm ride home. Swapped out the saddle for a well worn Brooks Pro. Still have a stock SR Low Fat pedals as well as a set of MKS made Specialized Ti spindled Direct Drives ($$) if I ever want to rock the toe clip and straps.
58cm top tube w/ a 9cm stem so that fits pretty good (5'11") but the head tube is a bit dinky - time to do those stretching exercises!
A few paint dinks but overall in excellent condition. I better up my soundtrack to include some era correct hair metal.
Ride safe and good skill on the build, Chad

tachyon1.jpg

tachyon3.jpg

tachyon4.jpg

Back