When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I doing wrong - Fork threadig

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Djshakes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So I have this girls fork that is about 2 inches longer than a boys. Instead of grafting on a new steer-tube I figured I would run my fork threader all the way down, cut the excess tube, then back the threader off and be done. The threading was going good until I had about and inch to go. It started getting harder to cut the thread. I figured I would back off the threader and knock away some of the metal shards with a wire brush, then continue. When I started threading again the threader didn't cut any threads but essentially just stripped it out. You can see a small ledge where the threads stopped. Was backing off the threader my problem or can you just not thread that far down (Maybe he steer tube gets wider)? I use oil as well to lubricate.

It isn't that big of a deal because I can graft on a new tube. Just curious. See pic.

20150511_210457.jpg

This same thing happened to me, but I had enough left and took it to a shop and had them cut the threads. I am not sure what I did wrong to this day. The metal was very soft though so I am not sure if that is what contributed to it or not

Is your die sharp ? Can't be sure from the pics,but the threads don't look very crisp. Also looks like you are trying to remove too much material,that shoulder looks pretty big. I could be wrong,I am not an expert at this.

Don't know if it is just the picture or not but I see a wave in the "Stripped" threads.
Something is wrong with the tube. I don't think it is anything you did wrong.
JKent

I want to ask is your die a new die that was made somewhere other then the U.S? Or is it a old die that is possibly not sharp? I have noticed the Pre war Schwinn tubes seem to be a "softer " metal. Monark ,Higgins and Columbia also are soft and easily thread. The post war Schwinn fork tubes must of been heat treated. This would explain why they seldom get bent and are harder to thread. Monark forks cut the easiest.They are also usually found bent. So I would say either the die is a one shot use foreign tool, not sharp, or your fork is of heat treated steel,and is tempered. The method you are using is the same way I use and I have no problems and I have threaded and cut down many forks with a very old die, and a liberal amount of cutting oil.

The steer-tube may have been ''bulged'' in that area
from the tightening of the stem.

Have seen some of these tubes look like a satisfied
anaconda after consuming a wild pig.

...... patric

I used my electronic calipers to measure the steertube right at the shoulder. 1 inch dead on. Maybe it is the tool. It is made in Japan, however, I have barely used it. I'm wondering if it had something to do with me backing it off or maybe not using enough cutting oil. I was sweating like a pig while threading it. Such a bummer, I only needed about another half inch of threads.

Don't let the die get too hot, it will take the temper out and the tool will wear sooner....

Dale,

How can I tell if my die is sharp and is there any way to sharpen it if it is dull (I hate to waste good bike money on buying a new one... they are not cheap).

Ken-

Is your die sharp ? Can't be sure from the pics,but the threads don't look very crisp. Also looks like you are trying to remove too much material,that shoulder looks pretty big. I could be wrong,I am not an expert at this.

Back