When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I doing wrong - Fork threadig

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Take another fork and see if you can thread that one easily. wont ruin it. just see if you have the same problem. If not its not your die. If it was that hard to thread your tube may be tempered. I use LOTS of oil and back it off every few turns to clear the threads. I have cut threads on a out of round tube before. I was surprised that I was able to do it with good results.

Good call, I will also do this. I have been really gun shy since I tore the hell out of my shelby fork.

Ken

Take another fork and see if you can thread that one easily. wont ruin it. just see if you have the same problem. If not its not your die. If it was that hard to thread your tube may be tempered. I use LOTS of oil and back it off every few turns to clear the threads. I have cut threads on a out of round tube before. I was surprised that I was able to do it with good results.

I may not have used enough oil and didn't back it off enough. It is hard seeing as how I don't have three hands. I would drop some 3-1 oil on and then spin it a few times and put more on. Maybe I should back it off after every four turns. I didn't back off until the end.

I use threading fluid, but mine is highly toxic, use in well ventilated area.
Friction of course causes heat which causes the fork tube to expand, making cutting harder. Take breaks often....

After I destroyed the threads on two sets of forks I learned. I'll do a full turn then back it out about a half turn. It takes me longer but it's better than the alternative.

After I destroyed the threads on two sets of forks I learned. I'll do a full turn then back it out about a half turn. It takes me longer but it's better than the alternative.

...we HOPE everyone knows to back it off (so material can empty into valleys of tool)

Back