When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What am I missing about this (very nice) 1998 Schwinn Orange Krate custom?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cbustapeck

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I came across this rather nice looking 1998 Schwinn Orange Krate custom on eBay.

It's in quite good condition, and with a nice parts group (Shimano Deore and Altus, with front and rear disc brakes), but I am still lost as to why the price is so high, and would love some insights. In the condition that it is in, the base bike seems like maybe $825, shipped, at the most. The parts group might be the same - I haven't done the math on all of the bits, but it cannot be more than the same again.

I have no room to say anything negative about build quality - as has been evidenced in some of my own bicycles - but, for lack of a better way to put it, it just isn't consistent with a $2700+ bike.

The high bidders seem to all have decent feedback over a period of time, so I doubt that they are scammers, but I really don't know what to think.

The best I can figure is that the unmentioned builder of this bike is someone of significance that the bidders recognize.

I welcome any and all thoughts on the matter.

The following pictures are by eBay seller blownsaleenfox, and are recorded here for posterity.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Whoa those are live bids, I thought you meant he was asking $2700.. Cool bike.. Looks like it has some local history also .

I'm guessing ot has to do with the dealer who built it must have had a following. It is nice but I think all your missing is parting with alot of cash.

That one has 180 bids. This 1968 one has 11 and $1,000 less. I don't understand.
2020_11_04_18.32.26.jpg

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Back