When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are considered the "Bigger" bikes in the balloon tire Era?

-

srfndoc

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Since many of these bikes were considered "kids bikes" are there any that were actually built for the adult market or are generally just larger in size? I've ridden a few different bikes from the 30's and 40's and most felt small compared to modern bikes.

Thanks

Since many of these bikes were considered "kids bikes" are there any that were actually built for the adult market or are generally just larger in size? I've ridden a few different bikes from the 30's and 40's and most felt small compared to modern bikes.

Thanks
Some feel or are tighter than others. Wheelbase, bottom bracket height, handlebar type and top tube length all drastically affect room and feel. I am close to 6ft and have found that there is enough adjustment with the 7 style seat posts that I can ride most if not all of the prewar bikes and I have tried or owned quite a few. But yeah, bikes got bigger and lazier later for sure...

@srfndoc

How tall are you?
I have a few Schwinn tall frames and although they are taller, the top tubes are not necessarily longer witch is a big part of bike fit.

You need to try a Shelby with the wishbone frame
I am 6’4” and they ride nice

[email protected]
1 (209) 481-9464
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I rode Slick's at one of the CC Shelby Rides and did not like it. They are long & have a spacious cockpit, but they are just too short/low. I've stuck with 36-37 LWB tall frame Colsons for the most part. Many manufactures offered an optional 20" frame including Schwinn & Rollfast. CWC frames tend to be 19" and have not been that comfortable for me. Keep in mind, it's not always how tall a frame is tho, as geometry plays a large part in how it fits. I have Monark & Snyder(Rollfast) Hawthorne Twin Bars with 19" frames that fit me just fine. My Mercury Pacemaker is a relatively short frame, but for some reason it is pretty comfortable. The best thing is to find one at a local ride & ask if you can take it for a spin.

That's great feedback everyone. I definitely want to ride some different bikes but with all the group rides shutdown and social distancing in place its more difficult. Hopefully the upcoming 8/2 Cyclone Coaster ride doesn't get canceled.

That's great feedback everyone. I definitely want to ride some different bikes but with all the group rides shutdown and social distancing in place its more difficult. Hopefully the upcoming 8/2 Cyclone Coaster ride doesn't get canceled.
Maybe when things get better, you can come over and test-ride any of my roadworthy bikes. Just bring a 12pk of some decent beer with you :cool:

Back