When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest prewar ballooner bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
View attachment 320894 What about the sherrell prototype.
Whatever this is in the photo, it is definitely, absolutely, positively NOT the Sherrell prototype. I knew David Sherrell and he used my Bowden Spacelander to work up dimensions on his prototype. But this isn't it.

I even designed one version of his serial plates. And I still have the artwork for these plates today.

I also got special wild seats for these bicycles. The seats ended up sitting in a warehouse overseas and were never installed. While someone has installed what appears to be an old 1950s Mesinger saddle on this Sherrell, I can asbolutely assure you– this is NOT the prototype. That bicycle was a different color and had different features– which this one obviously does not have.

And yes, I still have photos of the prototype along with what amounted to original "literature." The prototype was originally promised to me, but I have no idea where it ended up. And whoever has it may not even realize the status of what it is. Or was. Or not...

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
NBHAA.com

For me, the rarest would be the Buck Rogers bicycle.
View attachment 613910

I’ve only seen it illustrated in this book which highlights the various items that were made
with the Buck Rogers theme.
View attachment 613911

View attachment 613912
It’s not really something I would like to have. I’m just curious to know if anyone
has ever heard or seen one.

I once owned a Schwinn Aerocycle. Checking into it’s history, I found that the Aerocycle
made in the 30s “depression” was expensive for the times & not many were sold.
Making it rare today.
Schwinn came out with a lower priced model which was the “cycleplane”.
Although I’m not 100 % on this. The Schwinn experts would know.
There were two very different versions of Buck Rogers bicycles. NBHAA has the facts and the info.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
NBHAA.com

Late 1933 Colson Moto: With original wheels, mostly original parts. Less curvy or desirable than the other rare Balloon tired bikes but still an early, running 26" ballooner. Cabers here helped provide a few missing items.
1679765274823.jpeg

1679766277554.jpeg

1679765199927.jpeg

Last edited:
Back