When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are these wheels on my Frankenbike?

-

morton

I live for the CABE
Westfield Columbia Model N5 Frankenbike

I have what I believe to be a Model N5 Superb Racer frame if I interpret Mr. Columbia’s web site correctly.

I believe the saddle is incorrect (more about that later) and I know the wheels/tires are not original.

I's guess they are Schwinn wheels based on the tires which are 26 1/38. Skip-tooth chain cogs. Can anyone positively identify them (wheels) as Schwinn and for which bike?

Could not find any markings on the wheels and pics show all info I found.

Thanks.

schwinn wheeled bike.jpg
badge n5.jpg
no.JPG
Schwinn front wheel .jpg
schwinn sports tourin 2.jpg
Schwinn Tire War.jpg
View attachment 674637
Schwinn wheel rear hub rear.JPG

schwinn tire size.jpg

No Schwinn experts out there? Want to sell these cause they don't go with the bike but would like to know what they are so I can set a fair price.

I guessed Schwinn wheels because of their "odd ball" size for postwar 26 1 3/8--597 lightweights that are not compatible with with "normal size--590" tires. Thought they might have started this prewar.

Looks like a set of 1940s lightweight rims with a replaced rear hub. That front hub looks different from a Schwinn at the cup profile, but it's hard to tell from the photo. That Bendix looks later. It looks like the rear rim is really rusty and the front has been painted with silver paint(?). If that's so, not much value there because they're in pretty rough shape. That's my take at least.

If those are prewar tires and I think they are they an even odder 599mm size. Common before WW2 but notseen after. Roger

Westfield Columbia Model N5 Frankenbike

I have what I believe to be a Model N5 Superb Racer frame if I interpret Mr. Columbia’s web site correctly.

Incorrect. My site states that a N5 is a 1922 Woman's Roadster. This bike is obviously a woman's bike and not a Racer which was a mans bike.

Back