When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Bearing Grease to Use?

-

Hammer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Ok so I'm looking for some recommendations on a brand and type of grease to repack steer tube, crank and hub bearings with, I do not have any bike shops close to me they are over an hour plus trip from me, so I am looking to see what others have used from auto parts stores or department stores that work good, I live in Kentucky we have Oriellys, NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, Federated, Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot just wanted to see 2hat brands and types other users have used and liked, I'm guessing any bearing grease will suffice but I'd like to know what most use use, as always thanks for the input!

Aaron

I buy the 4lb tubs of wheel bearing grease at the auto parts stores. I think the last one was from Auto Zone. Works fine for my needs. I don't do any mountain bike riding, just street cruising so I don't need anything fancy.

I bought a tub of the Park grease off either Ebay or Amazon (can't remember which, but both have it) I'm not stingy with the grease and it's lasting a while.
I got a small paint brush, think it's about a quarter inch wide that I use to apply the grease. Works great, just make sure it's a good one so the bristles don't fall off in the grease. Great for harder to reach places. Cut a small notch out of the edge of the plastic lid for the brush handle for when I'm not using it, so the brush can stay in the tub of grease.

I will probably just grab one of these two tubs I have a small grease gun with a needle I use on some wheel hubs, I usually just pump a few pumps out of the big gun of red grease and loosen the nuts up on the forks and gob it around, I have.never actually took bearings all the way out and cleaned them but I had no other option this time and I also had a set that came with the fork assembly I got from @Boris that he so graciously cleaned very well for me so I thought I better pony up and put the good stuff in, I appreciate all the replies on the subject I'm gonna order some and get the bike greased well and ride it a little while then take it back down for a paint job

Aaron

Screenshot_20180602-182452_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20180602-182549_Chrome.jpg

I forget the name but it's blue water proof grease. The same stuff I use for my R.C. rock crawler's.

Used this the past few years..good stuff. I also keep a tube of Phil Wood on hand for customer who ask for it or would appreciate the extra care in hard use applications.

LU2511.jpg

Now I am trying this lube out and I like it a lot. And it is a pretty red color...

LU4006.jpg

Back