When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Raleigh Sprite 5-speed.

20170924_172454.jpg

20170924_172521.jpg

20170924_172505.jpg

Went by the usual bike trail, but this time by water.

The bridge I've probably posted a few times from a different angle.
View attachment 681861

Great blue heron
View attachment 681862

Seven turtles on this log.
View attachment 681863

Did the limbo under this one.
View attachment 681864
nice photos - we have a boys' coast kayak trip planned for next month. Saturday, when you guys were taking all these artful photos, we attended the ACK demo days in San Marcos and had fun playing with OPs' boats. (I got in a short version of my neighborhood loop ride before we left, 18 mi and 800' climb.)
Even though my buddy is boat rich, he's never had a really good dedicated flats boat. He left there with an incredible deal - 1/3 off on a 16' Hobie Revo (brand new last year's model, but the only difference is the color - mango yellow). I got to sail the 19' Hobie trimaran, and had a blast (in a former life I captained an O'Day 27). Fun thing about this cat boat, aside from being fast, it tacks like a sloop without reversing hull direction.

ps - dig your Ritchie compass - on our boats, too. Even my high-grade Suunto surveyor's compass on my bike is starting to let in air bubbles now - though Suunto chart compasses are first-rate.
this shot makes me want to paddle

Last edited:
nice photos - we have a boys' coast kayak trip planned for next month. Saturday, when you guys were taking all these artful photos, we attended the ACK demo days in San Marcos and had fun playing with OPs' boats. (I got in a short version of my neighborhood loop ride before we left, 18 mi and 800' climb.)
Even though my buddy is boat rich, he's never had a really good dedicated flats boat. He left there with an incredible deal - 1/3 off on a 16' Hobie Revo (brand new last year's model, but the only difference is the color - mango yellow). I got to sail the 19' Hobie trimaran, and had a blast (in a former life I captained an O'Day 27). Fun thing about this cat boat, aside from being fast, it tacks like a sloop without reversing hull direction.

Thanks, that's my CLC Chesapeake 17 Dreadnaught (heavy, especially when putting it back up on the car to head home). I also have a 17' Cape Charles that weighs in at a very svelte ~40 lbs., but it's not as good a boat (though it looks nice). Hobie makes nice boats and does some interesting things. I also really like their mirage drive.

When we get into the next house, I'm going to finally build a power boat I designed that's based on a narrow flats hull.

Thanks, that's my CLC Chesapeake 17 Dreadnaught (heavy, especially when putting it back up on the car to head home). I also have a 17' Cape Charles that weighs in at a very svelte ~40 lbs., but it's not as good a boat (though it looks nice). Hobie makes nice boats and does some interesting things. I also really like their mirage drive.

When we get into the next house, I'm going to finally build a power boat I designed that's based on a narrow flats hull.
My dream boat is a hand-laid Kakazi Pelican, but I'm very happy paddling a Tarpon 160, and it's still about the best/fastest flats/touring hull ever. I'm glad my buddy got the 16' Revo, because it will help him stride out on the flats.
I tell most people looking at kayaks today to think seriously about what they want to do with the boat - taxi or stand - because hull designs are getting so big now, for standing stability, they don't even report weight in most kayak specs any more. And seriously think about ABS if they want a big boat. Buy your starter PE boat cheaply, but make your dream boat ABS or hand-laid.
I can easily single-hand my Tarpon using a p/u bed extender.
0qyLt84.jpg

If you don't have a Werner paddle, think seriously. I bought my daughter (the nationally rated HS wrestler) a bent-shaft Shuna when she was 12 to take advantage of her aggressive stroke, and she paddled 5 miles into the wind across the flat faster than 3 grown men. When she was 15, I couldn't keep up with her any more and my top-line A/T paddle. So I bought myself a Werner Camano touring paddle and got my edge back. Their blade design goes in and out of the water more efficiently than any other, and whether you get glass or carbon blades, they're worth the price.

My dad has a McKee, which is basically a slightly shallower-draft, higher-bow Whaler - a great boat for crossing the big bay and taxiing on the flats. We've strapped 4 kayaks in it before to cross the big bay and paddle the barrier island "lakes".
EitqilQ.jpg

This view, BTW, no longer exists after the west wall of Harvey.
Of course Texas is famous for run-in-3" tunnel-hull bay boats like Majek, Shoalwater, Shallow Sports, etc.
My dream power boat would be a Hewes because I like the clean deck and stepdown cockpit for fly fishing. Though Shallow Sports is a really fine boat, too - devoid of gunwhales.
24C-Flounder01.jpg

sorry guys, no more boat posts....

Last edited:
Back