When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
Rode the "Morot' home from work this afternoon and snapped this shot at the same place as last nights journey.....
WP_20190425_14_22_44_Pro (3).jpg

I detoured over the River Thames at Benson Lock and along the Thames Path.....
WP_20190425_14_56_41_Pro (4).jpg

That strange looking structure in the background is a WW2 'pillbox', you often see these in unexpected locations.....
WP_20190425_14_56_41_Pro (5).jpg

Later on I was out on the '53 BSA 'Golden Wings', here it is catching some rays from the sunset along with the clouds in the distance.....
WP_20190425_20_05_43_Pro (2).jpg

Several weather fronts blustered through today but luckily I was out between the showers. A strong headwind earlier this afternoon, but calmer this evening.
The sunset really highlighted this very flat-topped cloud formation as I stopped again just outside Chalgrove.....
WP_20190425_20_14_26_Pro (3).jpg

Fewer bugs flying tonight, nice!

My Shelby Flyer was the machine I chose to ride today. It had a spirited 40 miles and 2.65 hrs. added to its lifetime totals, which I know are high.
A useful bike is a ridden one. dnc1 and his riding pics today make me want to join him on the road for a spin in his fine location!
IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

Last edited:
My Shelby Flyer was the machine I chose to ride today. It had a spirited 40 miles and 2.65 hrs. added to its lifetime totals, which I know are high.
A useful bike is a ridden one. dnc1 and his riding pics today make me want to join him on the road for a spin in his fine location!
View attachment 986539
View attachment 986536

View attachment 986537

View attachment 986538
@dnc1 Nice sky pics today! SKPC in’t the only one wanting to check it out first hand. Looks pretty flat and beautiful.

I took my 41 World out to Kyrene tonight and got to eat some bugs of my own. View attachment 986641View attachment 986642View attachment 986643
If you're ever over here, let me know and we'll get out and ride.
It's not all flat @Miq, you just mainly see me on single speed machines, just a couple of miles away are the Chiltern Hills and the Berkshire Downs, wooded terrain that would gladden @SKPC's heart! Although at nowhere near the altitude he's used to!
I'll be climbing some hills on Sunday morning on the BSA, I'll take some shots at altitude for you.
If anyone's in England for the first Sunday in July, get in touch if you want to really ride vintage. Disclaimer: Silly clothing is compulsory!!!!!

To be honest, I am around 6'-3" and 190lbs, so climbing is tough for me even when fit. I unfortunately ride with younger and lighter MTB-ers at elevation who punish me every time we get out. Our rides are hours long and involve thousands of feet of elevation change and technical singletrack. So I usually max out when chasing or if I am leading as we always push the limits. I just try to run through my head a simple phrase to remedy the inevitable pain and ignore the faucet-volume sweat dripping off the end of my nose....…...
"When you are at your max, you know for sure you are alive"

Last edited:
I find that Jens Voigt's mantra works for me:
"Shut Up Legs!!!!!".
I'd probably have to cycle solidly for months to reach that level of elevation change. We're not talking mountains around here.
Back down on the flats, it was a wet and windy ride home from work today......
WP_20190426_16_09_00_Pro (2).jpg

.....even with the help of Golden Wings'!

It's all relative. @SKPC You have to deal w the lack of O2 too. What we call "mountains" (maybe 2000ft gain from base to summit at 3000ft) in PHX, AZ are "foothills" up in CO. Takes me a couple of nights at 7000ft to even start to sleep normally in the thin O2 when I visit CO, and ski the 11kft. summits there. Don't ask me how out of breath I am after bombing a whole run down. :astonished: Worth every second of it.

Back