When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
@Sven Great looking bike and light! Whole bike looks brand new.

I met Zinky early for a ride up South Mountain to Dobins’ Lookout. The Park has set up Sunday mornings as “Silent Sundays” and they prohibit motorized vehicles on the main park roads. Consequently there are tons of road bikes climbing the mountain and bombing back down. Despite not being able to keep up with the multi-gear bikes on the 1003ft climb, we passed a few on the way down. My GPS says max speed of 28.5 mph. Felt like 40 mph riding my 78 year old bike on Korean tires down the bone dry dusty mountain asphalt. :) Absolutely a blast!! Didn’t use the coaster very often on the way down but it was still a little “warm” at the bottom. :oops::p

11.7mi 1:35hrs 1003 ft ascent - 1941 New World. ————————Camelback Mountain directly behind the 41.
View attachment 988214

@tripple3 will like these no kickstand pics from the lookout. Downtown PHX is the cluster of buildings above the seat.View attachment 988217View attachment 988218

Took one stop on the way down to check the coaster and take these pics of the view.View attachment 988225View attachment 988226

Got some nods from the roadies when we were in the leaving the parking lot. Everyone’s really just having fun on the mountain roads without cars. If you pedal to the top, you earn the blast down, spandex and carbon fiber or not.View attachment 988232View attachment 988233View attachment 988234

Even got to see some South Phx lowrider car art on the drive home.View attachment 988237
6x9” speakers in the C pillars and air bags on all 4 corners. :cool:

Thanks. I try to keep it nice.
I bet you could have that coaster brake on the verge of a meltdown, screaming down that descent .

Last edited:
I rode the Vindec down to the shops yesterday, but that was as far as my riding went, it was too difficult in the 50 mph+ wind.
I also neglected to take a photo, apologies all.
Thankfully, today was much calmer weatherwise.
Set off into town on the BSA to help out on our monthly "couch to saddle" ride, helping people to get out and about on their bikes.
Pictured in Wallingford Market Square with the Georgian Town Hall in the background.....
WP_20190428_08_40_22_Pro (2).jpg

We had only 4 riders ( plus 4 ride leaders) turn out, the cool, cloudy morning not helping with the numbers; I acted as 'lanterne rouge' on the 10 miler, our 2 new riders really enjoyed it.....
WP_20190428_10_13_30_Pro (2).jpg

Sadly, this meant I missed out on those promised hills. Coming soon.

I again went shopping on the Vindec later, and again neglected to capture it on camera!

Went out on the Ciclos Minaco early afternoon, same route as this morning but in reverse.....
WP_20190428_14_14_20_Pro (2).jpg

Final ride of the day on the Rochester, over to my mums. The little footpath that I regularly use as a shortcut to avoid a risky stretch of road is already getting overgrown.....
WP_20190428_19_26_35_Pro (2).jpg

Along the Berrick Road I stopped by this Ash tree, slowly being eaten away by 'Ash Heart Rot' fungi.....
WP_20190428_19_46_29_Pro (3).jpg

It was a fine Spring evening, too early for a sunset shot, it's so green in this part of the world right now, everything is so lush after a couple of days of showers.....
WP_20190428_19_42_01_Pro (2).jpg

The view over to the iron-age hill forts from my view point looked gorgeous.
I spotted 11 Hares in this one field near Chalgrove, a fairly rare site to see so many. I managed to snap 1 before it disappeared from view.....
WP_20190428_19_47_37_Pro (2).jpg

This blurred shot really embodies their mystical, mythical nature in British history; I love 'em!
A lovely day, all in all.

I rode the Vindec down to the shops yesterday, but that was as far as my riding went, it was too difficult in the 50 mph+ wind.
I also neglected to take a photo, apologies all.
Thankfully, today was much calmer weatherwise.
Set off into town on the BSA to help out on our monthly "couch to saddle" ride, helping people to get out and about on their bikes.
Pictured in Wallingford Market Square with the Georgian Town Hall in the background.....
View attachment 988264

We had only 4 riders ( plus 4 ride leaders) turn out, the cool, cloudy morning not helping with the numbers; I acted as 'lanterne rouge' on the 10 miler, our 2 new riders really enjoyed it.....
View attachment 988271

Sadly, this meant I missed out on those promised hills. Coming soon.

I again went shopping on the Vindec later, and again neglected to capture it on camera!

Went out on the Ciclos Minaco early afternoon, same route as this morning but in reverse.....
View attachment 988272

Final ride of the day on the Rochester, over to my mums. The little footpath that I regularly use as a shortcut to avoid a risky stretch of road is already getting overgrown.....
View attachment 988274

Along the Berrick Road I stopped by this Ash tree, slowly being eaten away by 'Ash Heart Rot' fungi.....
View attachment 988277

It was a fine Spring evening, too early for a sunset shot, it's so green in this part of the world right now, everything is so lush after a couple of days of showers.....
View attachment 988282

The view over to the iron-age hill forts from my view point looked gorgeous.
I spotted 11 Hares in this one field near Chalgrove, a fairly rare site to see so many. I managed to snap 1 before it disappeared from view.....
View attachment 988288

This blurred shot really embodies their mystical, mythical nature in British history; I love 'em!
A lovely day, all in all.
Man! Beautiful pictures. It looks like I hope heaven does...and hope there will be bicycles there also. Thanks!

Sent from my Bell candlestick

Thanks. I try to keep it nice.
I bet you could have that coaster brake on the verge of a meltdown, screaming down that descent .

Ha!! That video is hysterical! Unlike the Russian kids in the video, I have clean new Phil Wood grease on new bearing balls and Mobil 1 synthetic oil on the alternating bronze and steel discs. :p I am also not holding the big arm = brake lever to the frame with baling wire. The coaster was warm but not hot, even at the very bottom. I could keep my finger on it. (~40-50C). Nothing oozed out thankfully. Front hub was same as ambient.

I was concerned about it too, never taking this bike down that long of a decent. Checked it once by getting off the bike half way down and also hit the coaster near the top a few times to see if I could notice any fade.

@GTs58 "I can't believe @Miq climbed up South Mountain on a one speed coaster! " I knew you would get it. :)

Last edited:
@dnc1 The light on the Rochester is sweet. The star/snowflake design on the link between the back of the light and the mount is cool. Does it serve a purpose? Great pics today as usual!
Man! Beautiful pictures. It looks like I hope heaven does...and hope there will be bicycles there also. Thanks!

Sent from my Bell candlestick
Thanks for the appreciation guys. The standard of photos in this thread is always fantastic, just trying to keep it up!
Still my favourite thread on the Cabe; aside from all the fantastic knowledge and wisdom freely imparted everywhere on here, the simple pleasure of seeing others enjoying their machines always makes me happy.
@Miq, that light is a "The Revenge" model, by Powell and Hammer of Birmingham (England, not Alabama). That design is there purely for adornment I think, but it could be one of their regular design motifs, peculiar to them.
Great to see your 'downhilling' exploits too, chapeau!
@Sevenhills1952, surely heaven wouldn't include cycling uphill on a 'fixie' with a 91 inch gear? more like some kind of Sisyphean hell I think. I’m a glutton for punishment.

This one hurt "literally".

A few days ago I woke up with a pinched nerve or something in my back that disabled me for the last several days. I think I first hurt it lifting a tool box out of my car. It really did not affect me much when it happened, but the next morning it hurt so bad I had trouble even getting out of bed.

Today was a pretty nice day, and I couldn't stand for another moment to be inside. I had to at least try getting out on a bike for a bit.

1a.jpg

Yesterday it snowed in the Chicago area, but almost all of it is now gone now. (This section in the photo will probably be gone within the next hour, as its the only patch of snow I saw on the ride). This is hopefully the last I see of it for the rest of the summer.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Do to back pain I could not make it very far today, but I did sneak in just a few miles in a small loop around my neighborhood. It actually felt great to just get out of the house for a little bit.

Last edited:
Not cool to destroy signage with graffiti...not cool at all man. Santa Ana River Jetty...famous surf spot when it's big and pumping from the south..
IMG_3183.JPG

Newport Back Bay Salt Marsh bicycling heaven.
IMG_3187.JPG

The Wedge...balboa peninsula
IMG_2979.JPG

Talbert regional park..
IMG_2988.JPG

A very relaxed 38mi today..unlike Miq or dnc1's considerable efforts!

Last edited:
Back