When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
Just stopped by for a pix...and a bowl of cherries .....eh!

014.JPG

010.JPG

I took my '72 Varsity , which I switched the tour handlebars set up for the dropbars for a maiden trail ride today.
20190802_100702.jpg

Storms last night left all kinds of debris on trail. I moved a lot of limbs and stuff off the trail.
20190802_144026.jpg
20190802_125918.jpg

The end of the line today
20190802_125955.jpg

And no good deed goes unpunished
20190802_143019.jpg

A good ride none the less.

So....You felt lazy, didn't want to ride, but did. You crush the young competition in a 2200 ft climb in a time approximate of 2 hours. That equals an average of 18.33 ft of climb per minute. WOW....I wonder what you would do, full of piss and vinegar? :p
Anyway great job. The history of Park City was very interesting. THX
Yes Sven, but I am already full of Piss & Vinegar. Advanced age does that to us. To be honest, these speedy gals caught me on the last 500 vertical to the top, not the entire 2200 feet. I was at 65% heart rate and then heard and saw them coming so ramped it up and dusted them. This particular climb to the summit takes me typically 1.25 hours, so you climb a bit faster than your calculations. The balance of time is spent descending, which is the real reward at the end of the climbs. A strong "average" pace with that kind of climbing and ride duration is around 7+mph up and down. A really fast death pace can go up to 7.8 to 8+mph average. which is race pace. Mid-year the legs stop hurting and it becomes a mental thing. I love to climb, and I will always embrace it as it is half of the sport. You climb for the reward, the down. It also sets you apart from the lift-serviced riders(increasing daily) and the now electrified/motorized MTB's that currently are threatening our communities trail system and lifestyle. It is quickly becoming a problem here and we are struggling with how to regulate them. Electric bikes are great, but belong on pavement for the most part. I live in paradise, so when I am down or feeling bad or sorta lazy I just pull myself up from the bootstraps, quit complaining and go ride. I eventually felt better 1/2 way up. Still hanging at 62 yrs of age and very proud of it. If any Cabers are travelling through the area, PM me and I can tour you around and/or provide a custom designed ride to match your style and capabilities. All comers welcome: Ride on mates! skpc
One more pic from last night.
IMG_0047.JPG

Last edited:
Yes Sven, but I am already full of Piss & Vinegar. Advanced age does that to us. To be honest, these speedy gals caught me on the last 500 vertical to the top, not the entire 2200 feet. I was at 65% heart rate and then heard and saw them coming so ramped it up and dusted them. This particular climb to the summit takes me typically 1.25 hours, so you climb a bit faster than your calculations. The balance of time is spent descending, which is the real reward at the end of the climbs. A strong "average" pace with that kind of climbing and ride duration is around 7+mph up and down. A really fast death pace can go up to 7.8 to 8+mph average. which is race pace. Mid-year the legs stop hurting and it becomes a mental thing. I love to climb, and I will always embrace it as it is half of the sport. You climb for the reward, the down. It also sets you apart from the lift-serviced riders(increasing daily) and the now electrified/motorized MTB's that currently are threatening our communities trail system and lifestyle. It is quickly becoming a problem here and we are struggling with how to regulate them. Electric bikes are great, but belong on pavement for the most part. I live in paradise, so when I am down or feeling bad or sorta lazy I just pull myself up from the bootstraps, quit complaining and go ride. I eventually felt better 1/2 way up. Still hanging at 62 yrs of age and very proud of it. If any Cabers are travelling through the area, PM me and I can tour you around and/or provide a custom designed ride to match your style and capabilities. All comers welcome: Ride on mates! skpc
One more pic from last night.
View attachment 1040178

I couldn't agree more, Pete. Climbing is the best part of riding as far as I'm concerned. Especially on a mountain bike. (And you're in shape.;)) Races are won on the climbs! Personally, it's akin to a runners high. Once you get in rhythm with your cadence and breathing climbing is a blast and it's fun snapping the
legs off youngsters. :)

(Disclaimer: I would not try this right now due to my job keeping me off the bike the past few years. But I'm getting back little by little.)

Back