When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
Today I rode this, not very far mind, still having teething troubles with the model A rear hub, but great fun to ride something from your side of the pond on this side of the pond @Balloonoob.
Still, I've been working on this National for almost 21 months now, it's getting there, slowly!
Pictured on the back streets of Wallingford.....

WP_20190813_20_00_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20190813_19_58_47_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20190813_20_00_09_Pro (2).jpg

I rode the Shelby "T" serial number bike yesterday for 41. (no pics) Today out for 40 on the Elgin tanker.
IMG_9097xxxx.JPG

Compared to the super-stiff rigid Shelby I rode yesterday, this softy-pie is really a dreamy & forgiving ride. This fork is stiff laterally, but vertically,(actually, horizontal as it splays out increasing the wheelbase) it is soft, but not too soft. When I load this fork by standing up and sprinting, it is super damp and has a very progressive spring rate which ramps up quickly. There is bit of rebound between pedal strokes, but since the fork only goes through about 65% of its total travel while standing up, there is further travel left if any bumps are hit. Also, it is hard to explain in words, but the fork doesn't spring back too much, but just floats slightly in the middle of the travel stroke when standing up and hammering. The wheelbase lengthens so any hard or uneven hand pressure on the bars doesn't change the straight-line and forgiving feel of the bike. You can pull or push hard on the bars while standing up/sawing the bike back and forth but the bike still tracks straight and true. My full-rigid Shelby roadster is tricky when transitioning from sitting to standing. Any uneven pressure on the bars when standing up has an instant effect on steering. making it a real hand-full. Pics next time of the "T" serial number late 30's Shelby that has more of a true rigid road bike feel. To be continued.....

Last edited:
Back