When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I drove down to Corpus Christi, TX yesterday for the annual Texas District & County Attorney Association’s annual conference and continuing legal education. It’s a 5-1/2 hour drive and I stopped north of Austin for lunch. While eating lunch I started flipping through Facebook marketplace listings and ran across this recently serviced 1974 Schwinn Suburban 5 speed and realized it was nearby. Sometimes you just NEED to buy a bike. I already had another bike on the rack on the back of my SUV, but I decided right then I was going to go scoop it up. Seller wanted $100. I offered $80 and went and picked it up.

I don’t know if I like “patina” but I definitely like a bike with “experience.” This bike was registered in Houston, TX in 1974, 75, and 76. Was bought during COVID by the previous owner at Bike Farm in Austin, TX, and was scooped up by me yesterday, taken to Corpus Christi, TX and ridden 30 miles already. I like that it’s got scratches, a few extra decals, and has been well used but taken care of. I made a stop at Bay Area Cycles in Corpus Christi for new brake shoes at lunch and rode back to the conference. The 5 speed Schwinn GT-120 derailleur took a little while to get used to, but after 30 miles I’m clicking through the gears like it’s connected to my brain. It’s crazy how much fun you can have even on a plain old 5-speed lightweight.

349CCEF9-C88C-44D0-B543-1FC6BCC1D50E.jpeg

EC20400D-944C-4314-8B63-AA4D8536CBF5.jpeg

147376CA-6540-4BED-9124-1F8605479200.jpeg

6D2668BF-358F-4AF6-ABEE-D1BB5152A0F2.jpeg

B8452EB0-A004-487A-9D81-844AFCDB0053.jpeg

Aircraft Carrier U.S.S. Lexington in the background.

10C3E25A-EE0E-49C6-AF5D-38B5980ACF4B.jpeg

5C4E5D1F-98BA-4734-97CA-FFFEF62C1594.jpeg

Not fun when one is pedaling the 46 Rollfast and enjoying the scenery when suddenly something goes ping and your saddle collapses on the right side😳
I always check and make certain things are tidy so not to get a surprise but didn’t check this morning so lesson learned.
Took me a few minutes to locate the bolt and retaining cup but who knows where the hex nut flew off to. I was 5 miles from the house so I carefully rode while leaning on the left saddle side and supported most of my weight on either pedal while dismounting and walking on the bumpy sections . Took me a while to get home riding this way
Located a matching bolt in my junk box and got it back together good as new.

View attachment 1698708

View attachment 1698709

With the replacement nut on nice and tight she’s good as new now.

View attachment 1698710
I had that happen on the same kind of saddle.same side.mine came off on the bike rack while on the freeway.lost the cup too.

Back