When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
“We’re gonna be in the Hudson” - Sully Sullivan
This location is maybe 3 miles south of where Sully's plane came to a stop in January of 2009. About 7 months after the Miracle on the Hudson, a tour helicopter and a small private plane collided over the Hudson no more than a mile or two from where Sully's plane landed. I was on a group bike ride that day in Manhattan and saw the rescue operations right from the waterfront.

Happy Sunday!
Cyclone Coaster Swap early;
heart-racing/Donut-rush, wonderful day.
1936 Clipper, by CWC;🥰
for the "Double-bar" theme.
IMG_9186.jpg
IMG_9192.jpg

It's Veeder clicked over 32 miles, on a beautiful day.🥳

1667838854462.jpeg

1667838672006.jpeg

American Metal Performance Shootout~~ AMPS
When the weather clears in the next few days, I will be conducting a tongue-in-cheek, semi-ambiguous American Metal Performance Shootout featuring 7 OLD modified 26" ballooners in a real world road test. It most certainly will be a light-hearted analysis of what flips my switch in terms of machine performance and feel not typically on anyones radar. The 26" wheel size has been lately tossed aside and ignored, but I am a big fan. Each bike will be ridden at pace on a similar ride and distance with some short climbs involved. In each category, a rating of 1-5 will be awarded then combined for a total score.
The categories are as follows:
1.) Rider fit. How does it feel when you 1st get on the machine? Is it comfortable the entire ride? Is the machines' fit problematic in any way and can it be resolved?
2.) Moving out. Initial impressions once on the road in the flats at the start.
3.) Mechanical highlights. What components or build specifics stand out that seem to significantly affect performance and/or feel? Do they help or hurt?
4.) Performance. How does the bike perform on the ride end to end? What does the machine do well and how does it come up short when cruising, climbing, accelerating braking and maintaining higher speeds?
5.) Stealth Factor. Is the bike quiet and rattle free? Or, can you clearly hear the machine making unwanted noises? The noisier the bike, the lower the score goes.
Each machine will be ridden then evaluated immediately post ride. Due to the wide range of weights, components and build specs for these 26" wheeled relics, it's expected that the final scores will be fairly wide-ranging? The heavier machines sporting options like fenders, chain guards, monster sprung seats or other weighty accessories may suffer the consequences on the scores, but we'll see. There will not be a beauty or desirability category as it does not in any way affect the ride quality or make it more "rideable". I will vet the weight, wheelbase, seat and head angles specific to each bikes' road test. These numbers may or may not affect the overall scores, but could certainly affect the feel and overall performance more than any other factor. After all, this is a Performance Shootout and specs matter! The idea is to have some fun with the test, meant to mostly poke fun at todays' modern bicycle reviews so very biased and well funded. Below are the 7 test sleds waiting patiently for their specific evaluation, overall scores and final ranking. ⚡🎯😀
1952 Monarch Super Deluxe Tanker.
1667837403134.jpeg

1940 Shelby Hiawatha.
1667837467126.jpeg

1939 Shelby straightbar roadster.
1667837740357.jpeg

1937 Westfield Moto SS.
1667837610340.png

36 Shelby streamliner.
1667837848053.jpeg

1934 Shelby Flyer Moto
1667837999591.jpeg

1930 Snyder 21st. Century Hawthorne Flyer.
1667874664282.jpeg

Keep riding and stay tuned!

Last edited:
Back