When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
Today I did my long loop up San Diego Creek and Sand Canyon in Irvine on the 1938/9 Shelby Flyer. I got it from a guy in Montana who found it as a frame/fork/stem/bars/crankset behind a barn. Not sure what it weighs, 30-something. It's old now and has a gazzillion miles but still dances around with eager abandon when standing and/or powered up same as when it came to be. A full rigid ride for perspective.
1668297454923.jpeg

Rider Fit. This bike fits me with the long post. I'm tall, so I need leg extension but can adapt to the shortish reach and locked-in foot position knowing the overall benefit of stiff shoes and clipless pedals that give back. I just put on a new seat that I just got, taking a chance it would be comfortable and it was. 12.5" BB height, 43.5+ wheelbase, 70 head, 65 seat angles. A real good 4.25 on fit.
1668297670264.jpeg

Moving out. The yellow bee feels quick and doesn't make any noise getting up to speed. The Sach indexing shifter, my favorite 3-spd shifter, is flawlessly smooth and predictable, unlike the klanky Sturmey triggers. Seat felt good straight away on the arse, I love these 23" wide original- to- the bike bars and they also stay out of the way of my knees. I had my hands basically in two different spots on them the entire ride, on the ends or a 1/2 grip forward. You are kinda locked into place on this machine and punished a bit if you try to move around too much. Feels fast and responsive. 4.5
1668297715050.jpeg

Mechanical Highlights. This bike has nice wheels also. Just replaced another failed lower headset cup and crown race with a wider upgrade. Shelby headsets are crap imo. The wheels are not super light with the old Sturmey front drum brake and 515 Sachs, both 36 hole, but with respectable rotating weight and great braking power. I think I just serviced this front drum and it is very effective combined with the rear coaster 3-spd and in a panic stop it slows down fast. Curvy old Shimano road crankset with White Industries adjustable chromo BB with ceramic bearing upgrade. Synchros 46t ring. 18t cog. Gets a 4.5 spec.
1668297820579.jpeg

1668297835414.jpeg

1668297907250.jpeg

Performance. I built this years ago with faster in mind. Even with the heavy hubs, the wheels are quick and are easy to keep spinning fast. I wish someone made some 650 gram, high pressure baldy skin-walls, but the Bontrager Hank is no longer. The Electra aftermarket tires aren't the lightest, (these may be around 1100 grams) but they do the job and are high pressure. I ran 50lbs. This bike dances around left and right when standing up and cranking powered up. 150mm wide seat stays out of the way and is easier to get on and off of quickly. Nothing on this bike flexes except the wheels and it is the stiffest of the bikes front to back. Stiff shoes and clipless is superior performance wise. It gives you a completely connected to the bike feeling, and confidence of knowing you will never blow off the pedal suddenly by accident. The old Shimano crankset does not flex, nor did the White BB spindle. Climbs well. 4.25 performance score.
1668298110719.jpeg

Stealth Factor. As quiet as a mouse. The only sound was what the tires made and only the tread on pavement song. This bike is very smooth. I was thinking about words that best describe it and came up with "tight" and "silky". 4.5 Stealth score! Wowza.

Another great ride today on the full rigid Shelby Flyer Roadster. Longest test ride with the most climbing so far in the american metal shootout. I really like this bike. Makes me think about stuff that matters when rolling, like binary switches and life itself. Thanks for all the nice comments and following along on the rides. Keep riding Cabers!🌎

Last edited:
Wow! Great photos, great build and write-up! Those slack angles make for comfortable, stable ride. How many inches of post is showing? I need to use a long post also to ride any of my ballooners with 18" frames

Rode the latest version of the ‘84 Schwinn around the local college today. Wondered what was up with all the new signs everywhere for a college I had never heard of. Turns out they were filming a TV show and had transformed the campus. Even the bulletin boards had fake flyers! Still a great day to ride.

81BD17DB-59DB-4B69-A4C4-12BB50A78409.jpeg

7D88E8A1-ADBB-40E8-A9D2-42E27DBBF8FC.jpeg

Today I did my long loop up San Diego Creek and Sand Canyon in Irvine on the Shelby Flyer. I got it from a guy in Montana who found it as a frame/fork/stem/bars/crankset behind a barn. Not sure what it weighs, 30-something. It's old now and has a gazzillion miles but still dances around with eager abandon when standing and/or powered up. A full rigid ride for perspective.
View attachment 1730841
Rider Fit. This bike fits me with the long post. I'm tall, so I need leg extension but can adapt to the shortish reach and locked-in foot position knowing the overall benefit of stiff shoes and clipless pedals that give back. I just put on a new seat that I just got, taking a chance it would be comfortable and it was. 12.5" BB height, 43.5+ wheelbase, 70 head, 65 seat angles. A real good 4.25 on fit.
View attachment 1730842
Moving out. The yellow bee feels quick and doesn't make any noise getting up to speed. The Sach indexing shifter, my favorite 3-spd shifter, is flawlessly smooth and predictable, unlike the klanky Sturmey triggers. Seat felt good straight away on the arse, I love these 23" wide original- to- the bike bars and they also stay out of the way of my knees. I had my hands basically in two different spots on them the entire ride, on the ends or a 1/2 grip forward. You are kinda locked into place on this machine and punished a bit if you try to move around too much. Feels fast and responsive. 4.5
View attachment 1730843
Mechanical Highlights. This bike has nice wheels also. Just replaced another failed lower headset cup and crown race with a wider upgrade. Shelby headsets are crap imo. The wheels are not super light with the old Sturmey front drum brake and 515 Sachs, both 36 hole, but respectable rotating weight and great braking power. I think I just serviced this front drum and it is very effective combined with the sachs rear coaster 3spd and in a panic stop it slows down fast. Old Shimano road crankset with White Industries adjustable chromo BB, Synchros 46t ring., 18t cog. 4.5 spec.
View attachment 1730845
View attachment 1730846
View attachment 1730847
Performance. I built this years ago with faster in mind. Even with the heavy hubs, the wheels are quick and are easy to keep spinning fast. I wish someone made some 650 gram, high pressure baldy skinwalls, but the Bontrager Hank is no longer. The Electra aftermarket tires aren't the lightest, (these may be around 1100 grams) but they do the job and are high pressure. I ran 50lbs. This bike dances around lightly left and right when standing and cranking clipped in and powered up. Nothing on this bike flexes except the wheels and it is the stiffest of the bikes front to back. Stiff shoes and clipless is superior performance wise. It gives you a completely connected to the bike feeling, and confidence of knonwing you will never blow off the pedal suddenly by accident. The old Shimano crankset does not flex,nor did the White spindle. 4.25 performance score.
View attachment 1730854
Stealth Factor. As quiet as a mouse. The only sound was what the tires made, and if any, it was the tread on pavement song. This bike is very smooth. I was thinking about words that best describe it and came up with "tight" and "silky". 4.5 Stealth score! Wowza.
View attachment 1730844
Another great ride today on the full rigid Shelby Flyer Roadster. Longest test ride with the most climbing so far in the american metal shootout. I really like this bike. Makes me think about stuff that is amazing. Like binary switches and life itself. Thanks for all the nice comments and for following along on the rides with me. Keep riding

Looks like that seat would really hurt the boys….just saying, would certainly hurt mine…..🥵
Yeah. The pinch bolt was a bit loose and the saddle tipped back when I pulled a wheelie. Got 'er back in shape now.

A little exploring today on Staten Island with the '92 Trek 750. A bit of a rough neighborhood. The road was two very narrow lanes, forcing me to ride a lot on the sidewalks, which were largely devoid of people but littered with glass! The bridge path is great, though -12 feet wide and immaculately maintained by the Port Authority of NY/NJ. The roadway /path center span is 215 feet above the water

View attachment 1730831

View attachment 1730832

View attachment 1730833

View attachment 1730834

View attachment 1730835

View attachment 1730836
That’s one beautiful Trek!

Back