When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

-
I dropped my pickup truck off shortly after 0600 at Southern Tire for a 0730 appointment for front end alignment. I hauled the Diamondback as so I could ride to work.
20221119_052458.jpg

I made it across the four lane and onto the Three Notch Trail heading south.
20221118_061555_1.gif
20221118_062653.jpg

Made it safe and sound to work. It was a little chilly . But proper cold weather gear helped.

Work is done for the day. Back up north getting ready to cross the four lane.

It's Friday...Payday , cashing my check
20221118_113154.jpg

Got back to the tire shop around noon, only to find out that they hadn't even looked at my truck yet. (4 1/2 after my appt time ...WTF?) The flunky at the desk said it should be ready after lunch sometime. {Apparently the alignment tech strolls in around 9, does some work then goes to lunch for an hour.}
Nope.... I took procession of my truck. Gonna make an appointment with the Mennonite run shop.
Southern Tire sucks but at least it was was a great day for a ride.
20221118_112544.jpg

RIDE SAFE GANG!

1934 Shelby Flyer Moto. This came to me a few years ago now via Blackbomber who found it with a Spiderweb chainwheel and crank set along with the badge intact willing to turn it over to me. This frame you do not see often with the 5" head tube and narrowed top bars and long pinched seat stays. I had planned to use a three piece fancy crankset, ti BB, clipless pedals, new headset and no fenders but it turned out this way. The best laid plans go awry.
View attachment 1734336
Rider Fit. With the long post and wide bars it fits great. I can sit way back on the seat and hold onto the end of the bars or perch the front of the saddle with hands forward on the bar over the pedals more. Never felt cramped or uncomfortable today on my run up San Diego Creek to the long turnaround. This bike felt good sitting up with my hands on the slim feel ball-end grips while spun up to speed. The long spring saddle was super useable and comfortable with the long nose. 38lbs, 70/71 angles. 44.5" wheelbase, 12" BB height. The bike fits me very well, a 4.5
View attachment 1734343
Moving out The bike smoothly ramped up quick through the gears using a ratio lower than I am used to with a three speed, but during the long ride it was useful climbing up anything steeper. Super quiet straight away and can only hear the early Sturmey trigger click away during shifts. No fender sounds either. The bike feels solid and quick but not racy because of its' 38lb weight. Give a 4.0.
View attachment 1734338
Mechanical Highlights. This bike has nice wheels also I built specifically for this bike. Pretty showy with the butted spokes and alloy nips. Sun 33&35mm wide eyeletted rims on a 1947 Sturmey 36h Drum and a 1957 TCW coaster, both near nos. Long wide bars/short moto stem, Shelby 44 ring, 20 Sturmey cog. CST metro skin-wall hp tires. 1937/8 Sturmey trigger shifter. Original Ball-end grips. Super comfortable three-spring saddle. 4.5 score.
View attachment 1734346
View attachment 1734347
View attachment 1734351
View attachment 1734348
Performance Performance is as expected, very good. The wheels of course highlight most of the performance as the bike went for over 50 today. It scoots along even with its heavy feel because of the fast spinning wheels and tires. It ran best climbing and accelerating. Top speeds were kept down by both the lower gearing and heavy spec. But standing up, the bike was at its' best actually. The Wheels. It would climb in any gear out of a hole if you were standing up cranking on it without much slowing. Or, you could relax and shift down to crawl out while sitting. Braking front and back was excellent, both of them. Cruising at 15-17 mph in the smooth sections was dead quiet and circular. Only because of the weight burden of the saddle, cranks/pedals and fenders it gets dinged. 4.0.
View attachment 1734345
Stealth Factor. Ok this is a quiet rig. Very quiet considering fenders are present. No chaingaurd is the ticket as is the nos Diamond chain I have on the bike. The only sounds I heard all day was the click click of the sweet Sturmey trigger and some sounds late from the saddle chassis. A very good 4.5
View attachment 1734350
This is a nice riding long distance machine. Very comfortable in the saddle and standing up, and the wheels are high performance and don't wear you down over the ride. Nice bike this Shelby Flyer. One more spin of the earth and another day is gone. What's next?
View attachment 1734349
Something cool about a beefy Shelby thanks love the FlyerπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ŽπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜

Back