When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you ride today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1930 Snyder Hawthorne Flyer. This is the final ride in the shootout riding what I call the 21st Century Hawthorne. It started life as a 28-er frame/fork and crankset but turned out very different. The idea was to make a disc brake roadster using an old springer fork. The 41 shock ease is a ladies version with a long steer tube that I threaded down another two inches in order to screw the headset cone down low, leaving the long part of the steer tube sticking out above the headset cone so as to allow a threadless stem (using a thin 1" to 1-1/8" spacer) over the exposed threads. Built some really fast wheels with some other cool stuff and pieced it all together. It goes down the road pretty honestly. 29lbs, 44" WB, 11.5" BB height, 70 seat and 72 head angles. 44t/18t ring/cog.
1668951969425.jpeg

Rider Fit. On the seat over the pedals and down over the bars looking at the front hub, that's how it fits. Locked into the pedals and onto the seat for the most part and then only a bit left and or right on the bars. You can only move around a little on the saddle and in total the sum of the bikes geography landlocks you into the go position. Not necessarily the most comfortable feeling right out of the gate, but certainly racy. 4.0 fit score.
1668907687523.jpeg

Moving out Fast and smooth, it speeds along with each pedal turn like it should. Noiseless for the most part clicking through the gears. Tha saddle feels small compared to those nice long spring, long nosed prewar seats I rode on the last two bikes. This one feels......well... like I may be feeling the diff. later on. Quickly ramps up into 3rd with ease but there is a bit of a headwind right out the gate. 4.0.

Mechanical Highlights. This bike is decked out with some bad-boy stuff. Hope Mono hydraulic single piston brake, shock ease trussed single pivot fork with custom welded disk post mounts. Kooka cranks, World Class ti Bottom Bracket. XTR pedals. Sachs H3111 36h coaster-3 hub & Dixie 32h front disk hub with ceramic bearing upgrade/Sun Rims, Carbon bars, WTB Volt seat and lightweight Electra hp tires. ~29lbs!~
1668907748516.jpeg

1668907774218.jpeg

1668907800490.jpeg

Performance It is up there for sure. This is a sit-down and spin bike with the clipless pedals and stiff cranks. The wheels are the 2nd lightest pair in the bike test and they reward you with a bit of effort whether you are slowly climbing or rocketing along the flats. I was appreciative of them today as I was a bit off and my feet hurt late on the ride so they helped me get back without too much effort. If you wanted to, you could easily spin the bike up to red line in 3rd gear with quick feet up to 23mph and sit there. Very responsive bike except when standing up climbing. The shockease fork would "splay out" and increase the wheelbase and feel like it was sucking power. I didn't stand up much. On the other hand, the shock eats the road debris up and saves the hands over a long ride. Disc Brake & Sachs coaster stop on a dime, literally. No other bike came close. The stupid seat clamp moved a few times and I had to re-adjust it with my little crescent wrench before it finally stopped changing angles. Need to sort this out. Even though this isn't the most comfortable bike in the quiver nor the most forgiving, it does haul arse down the road. 4.5 I give
1668907836124.jpeg

1668907956503.jpeg

Stealth Factor. Pretty darned quiet. No noise at all except for the Sachs trigger clicking back and forth. Late on the ride, the crankset was making some very light ticks and clicks when standing and cranking on them, but stealthy for sure. A 4.25 score.
1668907993073.jpeg

The last of the bikes and the American Metal Performance Shootout has ended. Today was a bit rough for me. The wind conspired against me riding both directions on my 54mi out and back up San Diego Creek. My feet hurt because I wore thicker socks, the seat was slipping its' clamp and so I was uncomfortable and distracted most of the ride, but this is how it goes. I had to put my head down and turn the pedals over after expecting a perfect ride that produced some pain. You win some, you lose some and best be ready for both, because life is defined by laughing or crying. This is the truth of life! Regardless, I'm feeling like a winner today even though getting beat up end to end on the Hawthorne. You sometimes just have to suffer a bit to get back home when there is no other option. Had a ton-o-fun with the 7-bike MAPS project and hope those reading enjoyed the ride. I'll go back and total things up that includes specs tomorrow to see where it all ended up. At 65 with all this riding you know I'm kinda beat!😎 ~ Keep riding Cabers! ~ Best to all.
1668953291847.jpeg

1668909945825.jpeg

Last edited:
Great riding temperature 60 degrees but unfortunately light rain started and cut my ride short. I had forgotten how comfortable this bike is to ride, 1980 Suburban with Positron shifting.
What is 2040 stamped on the HB?View attachment 1735967
View attachment 1735968
One of best colors ever….hey mister owl how many …..pop,,,,,? Three😀😀😀😀😀 Seriously I really like the color I have a Continental in the same color thanks for The pics have a great Thanksgiving

Back