When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The 7 speed with 4 extra gears just makes it so much easier and nicer to ride while lessening the load on my old knees. The difference between a 3 and 7 speed is enormous as the gaps between the gears is much smaller. I have 4 bikes with different 7 speed nexus hubs, either coaster or roller brake and they all ride great. My only criticism is the hub with the earlier roller brake doesn’t have a very powerful brake but its backed up with a front caliper brake.

Rather than buy a wheel set, look for a lady’s bike with a 7 speed wheel set like the one I posted yesterday. I paid $140 for that bike which had a price when new of over $1000. A wheel set will cost you more. There are more lady’s bikes for sale so they are cheaper than men’s bikes and have usually done less work. I find Facebook marketplace has the most bikes for sale and people just want to get rid of them quickly. Look for Taiwanese made bikes as the wheels will be of better quality. Electra, Schwinn, Giant, Viva. Good luck.

Last edited:
The 7 speed with 4 extra gears just makes it so much easier and nicer to ride while lessening the load on my old knees. The difference between a 3 and 7 speed is enormous as the gaps between the gears is much smaller. I have 4 bikes with different 7 speed nexus hubs, either coaster or roller brake and they all ride great. My only criticism is the hub with the earlier roller brake doesn’t have a very powerful brake but its backed up with a front caliper brake.

Rather than buy a wheel set, look for a lady’s bike with a 7 speed wheel set like the one I posted yesterday. I paid $140 for that bike which had a price when new of over $1000. A wheel set will cost you more. There are more lady’s bikes for sale so they are cheaper than men’s bikes and have usually done less work. I find Facebook marketplace has the most bikes for sale and people just want to get rid of them quickly. Look for Taiwanese made bikes as the wheels will be of better quality. Electra, Schwinn, Giant, Viva. Good luck.
Thank you very much! That’s how I got my wife’s 3 speed, 2012 Schwinn Debutante. Good to hear the difference in the brakes. I am wanting to do something exactly like you’ve done with the drum in the front. Way cool stuff. I’ve got some great riding bikes, but they have overtaken my garage and I need to regain control…

I recently put together a really sweet 1981 Sidewinder custom, which rides great and I love it, but it’s “boring” to me because I grew up in this hobby riding cruisers… but I need gears these days and better brakes while hauling my daughters around on trailers or tag a longs.

i
Thank you very much! That’s how I got my wife’s 3 speed, 2012 Schwinn Debutante. Good to hear the difference in the brakes. I am wanting to do something exactly like you’ve done with the drum in the front. Way cool stuff. I’ve got some great riding bikes, but they have overtaken my garage and I need to regain control…

I recently put together a really sweet 1981 Sidewinder custom, which rides great and I love it, but it’s “boring” to me because I grew up in this hobby riding cruisers… but I need gears these days and better brakes while hauling my daughters around on trailers or tag a longs.
The Sturmey Archer front drum brake hubs are very good but the 100mm version is especially powerful. I have one on my 39 Roadmaster. I had to put a front brake on that bike because it was so fast with the nexus 7 out back. We also have many steep hills around town!

i

The Sturmey Archer front drum brake hubs are very good but the 100mm version is especially powerful. I have one on my 39 Roadmaster. I had to put a front brake on that bike because it was so fast with the nexus 7 out back. We also have many steep hills around town!View attachment 1623905
Thank you for the insight and inspiration! It’s hilly here too and gears work wonders on long rides. I’m definitely going to be looking hard to make something like this happen. I love resto mods.

not exactly back breaking work today.....put some 'slime' in the tubes-that little bit of security for when you are 5 miles from home and you just ran over a broken beer bottle. bike is 1938 Schwinn LBA97 ('L' preface in model number means equipped with 'cyclelock') Chicago Cycle Supply badged as 'LaSalle'

Last edited:
Back