When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Picked up this 24” Electra for my 7 year old daughter for $30 a while back. It was hardly used but stored outside. I painted the filthy whitewall tires with tire black, serviced the bearings, replaced the rusty bars and seat post with alloy ones from my stash and dumped the fenders. I also fitted a better front brake, lights, pedals and a decent chain all out my parts pile.

She approved once I fitted the streamers from her 20” bike and has already done about 50 laps of the driveway on it.

View attachment 1774538
Doing one for your kid is the best! Love it!

My grand daughter needed a new bike, the city she lives in is a hotspot for bike thieves. Her brother has had 3 stolen so far, so I try not to put together anything of much value.

I had two of these huffy regatta frames, made one out of the best pieces of both, added a 1980s wheelset and a set of tires I bought 3 years ago.

Hope no one likes it more than she does.

20230123_155126.jpg

20230123_155133.jpg

20230123_155146.jpg

20230123_165527.jpg

Picked up this 24” Electra for my 7 year old daughter for $30 a while back. It was hardly used but stored outside. I painted the filthy whitewall tires with tire black, serviced the bearings, replaced the rusty bars and seat post with alloy ones from my stash and dumped the fenders. I also fitted a better front brake, lights, pedals and a decent chain all out my parts pile.

She approved once I fitted the streamers and ding dong bell from her 20” bike and has already done about 50 laps of the driveway on it.

View attachment 1774649
Before
View attachment 1774581
After

Sweet!!

My grand daughter needed a new bike, the city she lives in is a hotspot for bike thieves. Her brother has had 3 stolen so far, so I try not to put together anything of much value.

I had two of these huffy regatta frames, made one out of the best pieces of both, added a 1980s wheelset and a set of tires I bought 3 years ago.

Hope no one likes it more than she does.

View attachment 1774751

View attachment 1774752

View attachment 1774754

View attachment 1774755
Hopefully she’ll absolutely love it and ride the tires off!
I have to confess…the first few vintage bikes I did were a total selfish act! Always wanted a loop frame early Harley but those are outta my toy price range. So I did a 34 motocycle Synder and gave it a vintage motor cycle look. The next was my phantom. My wife was not liking it at all! Then after much discussion with her she found a 53 hornet she liked so I did that for her and she started to enjoy the rides in the evening. Then my son wanted to do a fat tire vintage Schwinn cantilever. Not sure what that started as due to no original paint. Long story short we all ride together and have become closer as a family and have involved many old friends as well as meeting new friends! It has become away to bring everyone together! The vintage bikes are great but the true reward and why I keep doing more bikes is the people!

Laced an S2 onto this hub for dad today...had complaints of hub not spinning freely. Opened it up to find Park grease(or something new and green at least) in it already, just needed a cone adjustment.
1000002019.jpg

Fast forward to working on my HD wheel project....my same 76 Bendix hub that spun just fine, came apart like this.
PXL_20230125_201135533.jpg

Wald replacement axle=tuhraaash! Bent like a hotdog and the cones stripped the soft, only slightly marred threads, right off. Brake side bearing cage was split in two. Fine, that side being damaged is expected.

Thought the drive side bearing was just caked on with grease. Went to slap it against the bench to knock it loose, balls went flying.
PXL_20230125_201313333.jpg

PXL_20230125_201702004.jpg

The cone on the driver is so worn that it has a lip on it, effectively retaining the bearing cage onto the cone. Had to pry it off with a screwdriver, Tuhraaash!
PXL_20230125_201708520.jpg

So yeah, that's what I get for thinking I'm going to work on my own bike today....

Laced an S2 onto this hub for dad today...had complaints of hub not spinning freely. Opened it up to find Park grease(or something new and green at least) in it already, just needed a cone adjustment.
View attachment 1774898

Fast forward to working on my HD wheel project....my same 76 Bendix hub that spun just fine, came apart like this.
View attachment 1774899
Wald replacement axle=tuhraaash! Bent like a hotdog and the cones stripped the soft, only slightly marred threads, right off. Brake side bearing cage was split in two. Fine, that side being damaged is expected.

Thought the drive side bearing was just caked on with grease. Went to slap it against the bench to knock it loose, balls went flying.
View attachment 1774900

View attachment 1774901
The cone on the driver is so worn that it has a lip on it, effectively retaining the bearing cage onto the cone. Had to pry it off with a screwdriver, Tuhraaash!
View attachment 1774902

So yeah, that's what I get for thinking I'm going to work on my own bike today....
Man that sounds familiar! Except for me mine is fine but have to tell someone else that theirs is thrashed! 🤣😂

Back