When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
39 Schwinn?
Hello Pork Chop/Dave,
Jesus gave me your name, told me to reach out to you. I am going to build a cycle truck and he said you knew a lot about bikes. I am new to the hobby and buy what I like. I just found out about a couple of swap meets this weekend but we are going down to Santa Barbara to check in on our daughter. Happy to go but sad to miss out on the bike swap. Never bee; to one.
my name is;
Joe Phillips
live in Oakland
and getting into building some bikes up.
my handle on this site is oldwagonlover
510 427-0488

Threw this one together today. Best of vintage styling and some modern attributes …klunker out.

8010EFF6-31C6-445E-ADFD-ED299C113042.jpeg

EB9465EF-03BA-4536-A2B1-EE2CF94B849A.jpeg

E61D2584-2F8A-4E72-9CD8-79612976D3FA.jpeg

97F963F6-3B5C-48A2-92DF-33B8FF28D9CA.jpeg

D6F69352-B810-4611-8F3C-2122B986772B.jpeg

Good evening Caber’s! I received this dx frame today from Jesus for some of the work that I’ve done for him. After checking the numbers on it…it’s a frickin 46!! So stoked! Unfortunately it has some holes in it that will need to be welded up. On the up side the paint is not original and very poorly done. So I’m not going to feel bad about stripping the paint off this one! Started piecing it together with stuff I had just to see how far I could get and was able to make it a rider until I find the right parts!

image.jpg

Good evening Caber’s! I received this dx frame today from Jesus for some of the work that I’ve done for him. After checking the numbers on it…it’s a frickin 46!! So stoked! Unfortunately it has some holes in it that will need to be welded up. On the up side the paint is not original and very poorly done. So I’m not going to feel bad about stripping the paint off this one! Started piecing it together with stuff I had just to see how far I could get and was able to make it a rider until I find the right parts!

View attachment 1443072
Paint it anything other than Red❗ I like that winter seat cover 🤣

I got this 1997 Columbia frame from an ebay seller to build for a mate who wanted a USA made bike. Its impossible to find vintage USA bikes in Australia and ebay is often the only place for us to buy with options to ship them here.

The frame took 6 weeks to arrive. I started the build for him today and It appears the bike must have been crashed heavily as the head tube is stretched and the cups are really loose. The headtube also looks to be off to one side and the paint on the middle tube looks cracked at the seat tube

This is the second frame I have bought off ebay and had issues with which I believe were known to the seller. Searching through this seller’s sales and listings i noticed he already sold the tank, chainguard and still has the rack, speedo and fenders but nothing on the wheels or fork which were probably damaged too.

I’ll wait and see what he has to say and whether he will refund us or whether i need to take it further with ebay.

Other bummer is i got a heap of parts for the build from Bike Mike, most of which are now useless to us. My mate is done searching for now and we’ll keep riding his old Taiwanese Schwinn.

Last edited:
I got this 1997 Columbia frame from an ebay seller to build for a mate who wanted a USA made bike. Its impossible to find vintage USA bikes in Australia and ebay is often the only place for us to buy with options to ship them here.

The frame took 6 weeks to arrive. I started the build for him today and It appears the bike must have been crashed heavily as the head tube is stretched and the cups are really loose. The headtube also looks to be off to one side and the paint on the middle tube looks cracked at the seat tube

This is the second frame I have bought off ebay and had issues with which I believe were known to the seller. Searching through this seller’s sales and listings i noticed he already sold the tank, chainguard and still has the rack, speedo and fenders but nothing on the wheels or fork which were probably damaged too.

I’ll wait and see what he has to say and whether he will refund us or whether i need to take it further with ebay.

Other bummer is i got a heap of parts for the build from Bike Mike, most of which are now useless to us. My mate is done searching for now and we’ll keep riding his old Taiwanese Schwinn.

View attachment 1443127

View attachment 1443128

View attachment 1443129

View attachment 1443130
Hopefully the guy that sold you that bike is a stand up dude who honestly didn’t know and he refunds the money! The reality here in the states is it’s also getting much more difficult to find them too and when you do ya really have to pay up. I’ve been very blessed to have a great friend and working relationship with a guy who’s been saving these bikes for nearly 40 years! He’s at a point where he’s ready to be fixing his bikes up and I’m the guy helping him do just that. I know that looking at all the bikes I’m posting makes it look like this stuff is really easy to find but 99% of it is coming from a guy who’s been saving these pieces for many decades!

Hopefully the guy that sold you that bike is a stand up dude who honestly didn’t know and he refunds the money! The reality here in the states is it’s also getting much more difficult to find them too and when you do ya really have to pay up. I’ve been very blessed to have a great friend and working relationship with a guy who’s been saving these bikes for nearly 40 years! He’s at a point where he’s ready to be fixing his bikes up and I’m the guy helping him do just that. I know that looking at all the bikes I’m posting makes it look like this stuff is really easy to find but 99% of it is coming from a guy who’s been saving these pieces for many decades!
Yeah 'cause you don't just come across a 1940s + bike hardly ever or for cheap without knowing someone or jus' get extremely lucky to barn find somethin' hidden away for years in very good shape. Most things I have found are not very valuable or piss poor shape 😒

Back