When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What bike did you work on today?

-
I have dismantled much of the '40 Western Flyer. The seat has been stripped down and cleaned of most of the rust
View attachment 1467472View attachment 1467473
The wheels taken down to the rims
View attachment 1467471
As you can see, this bicycle was originally red. I can take the blue, but not the yellow scallops.
I tried using Goof Off to remove the blue paint. But the red paint was coming off as well.
View attachment 1467470
The frame , forks and wheels will definitely be media blasted.
Powdercoat or paint? 🤔 That is the next decision.

How about a nice "wide latex brush"..........lol 😆😆😆

Finally found the time (and the August heat) to get the petrified OG tire back on my 1916 Iver Truss. The tire was worked by the time I got the bike...

This thing was hard as a rock...

IMG_3321.jpg

Hit it with a lil' bit a dis....

IMG_3322.jpg

And then into a black trash bag on the dash of the truck for an hour. When I pulled the tire out it was like a wet noodle... I can't believe how pliable it was. I gave it a nice massage all the way around and then on to the wheel with some zip ties to hold it as it cools. I assume it will get fairly solid once again.

Many thanks to @New Mexico Brant for the technique... worked like a charm!

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

I took the seat from a 56 Starlet to auto upholstery supply warehouse today and asked my old friend if he could come close. He came back with some vinyl top material.
IMG_20210826_142710251.jpg

IMG_20210826_142721516.jpg

I think this will pass. I had to buy a minimum of 1/2 yard so I'll be able to practice.

I took the seat from a 56 Starlet to auto upholstery supply warehouse today and asked my old friend if he could come close. He came back with some vinyl top material.View attachment 1468224

View attachment 1468225

I think this will pass. I had to buy a minimum of 1/2 yard so I'll be able to practice.
Hi! I’ve done a bunch of seats in this last year. I’ve been using high density carpet padding for the cushions under the leather or vinyl in your case. It’s been working really well for recovering the bare pan. I like to use the pan as a template and pull the material up along the edges and trace it out with a sharpie. Then when you cut it out leave about a half inch (for the padding) to the sharpie line as you cut it out. Do the same with the vinyl only leave about an inch to an inch and a half to the sharpie line. I’m using high strength spray adhesive on the pan and back side of the padding. After letting the adhesive get tacky I’ll put the padding on and then trim off the excess. Pay extra attention to detail when your doing this because your vinyl will show everything! Put your vinyl in the sun and let it get warm. Once it’s warm out the spray adhesive on the padding and back of the vinyl and let it tack up. Put the vinyl ( tacky side up) flat on your work surface and carefully lower your pan dead center on the vinyl. It will stick as soon as it touches your vinyl! Work from the middle of the seat to the edges to get the wrinkles out. Then once you’ve got that done spray adhesive on the bottom edges of your pan. Don’t need to do the whole pan only about 1 inch to the edge. I like to start sticking it to the sides first. You’re going to have to hold it in place for a few moments to make sure it stays where you want it. Then I move to the back of the seat pinching the excess material together as I pull it tight over the edge of the pan equal amounts on each side. Repeating the process until your happy with it and put the bottom pan back over the edges. Hope this helps you get er done!

AFEC31AB-E08D-4864-889C-35C311B910B9.jpeg

9972D68C-15F3-4464-9B8B-5C0FABA35AA9.jpeg

BF5F0FCA-B619-448A-86DF-14C65E751988.jpeg

AD328BDE-0188-41A8-9075-FC04755E0929.jpeg

I have a lot of work to do on the frame as well. The Hippie that had the bike before me, repainted everything white then painted little red and blue stars on EVERYTHING. I bought the bike cheap because it had a set of S7 rims and new tires on it and a very unique Schwinn rear rack. Everything from here on out is gravy because $20 for a set of chrome S7 rims and new tires was worth the 70 mile round trip. We'll see what becomes of this bike when I get 1468264

Just got this Firestone Super Cruiser off the Fedex truck. Thanks to @TheFizzer for packing it so well and sending it my direction.
Any idea about date of manufacture?
I'm definitely stoked to have this ride to put back together and get it rolling on the Riverwalk. I'll get more pics while I'm working on it.
No, I'm not gonna paint it! 😀

20210826_153737.jpg

Screenshot_20210814-115245_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back